Sunday, May 29, 2005

XYZ

I guess it was about time for me to give a talk since I have made it through almost 5 years in the ward without doing it yet. And if I HAD to, I was glad that it was on a holiday weekend when over half my ward is off gallivanting at the beach together. Yet the pressure from having a surprise visit from a General Authority on the stand possibly vetoed the fact that the congregation was only half full, especially considering that it was just after I sat down from standing in front of that General Authority giving my talk that I realized the zipper on the back of my skirt was half-way unzipped.

I would also like to mention that during a ward Q&A session with the GA after Sacrament meeting, a girl raised her hand with a question. And she humbly prefaced her question with: "I think this is a really good question for a lot of different reasons." Then I came home and read Christian F.'s post about how his dad had called him unhip, and when I clicked over to read his dad's linked post, the very-good-question-asker had commented there. What a coincidence.

This weekend, I need to trim my hair just a tiny bit because the ends are getting a little untidy and starting to split. But now that I cut my own hair, I get really nervous and usually postpone cutting it for a long time before building up my courage and buckling down and doing it. At our April Enrichment meeting, a girl with really frizzy, brittle hair suggested sleeping in conditioner twice a week. I thought I would try this last night in lieu of actually cutting off the split ends in a timely manner. But I wasn't about to sleep with conditioner in my hair and let that hair touch my pillow, so instead I slept in a clear plastic saran-wrap-like head covering that made a crinkling noise all night. And thus my hair was really flat today, but with my zipper down, who was really looking anyway?

5 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

Lesson learned: never experiment with hair treatments mere hours before speaking in sacrament meeting.

I was really sad when I read Christian's dad didn't consider him "cool". I feel so disillusioned...

Neil said...

Why do you cut your own hair? There must be a story behind that.

Melissa said...

Neil: I just thought I could do it, so I bought an instructional book. Not a v. exciting story. Sorry.

Carly said...

I am sure it wasn't as bad as it seemed. Which General Authority was it? That could make a difference. And what was "the really good question for a lot of reasons"? Sleeping in conditioner? Fagettaboutit. Try the Pantene stuff that you put in your hair over night. It's way better and doesn't flatten or require saran wrap. I miss you...

Melissa said...

Carly: It was a member of the Seventy with the initials LM. I am paranoid about googling now. I don't remember exactly what the really good question was but it was something about academics and religion. I'll check out Pantene and also maybe blog about my BYU saran wrap experience. :)