Saturday, May 14, 2005

Please Don't Break My Heart by Writing Negative Comments About John Wayne

I will not relent in my love for John Wayne, despite the fact that I have been openly mocked by three different people this week for it. But I think it is in my blood.

When I was in high school, my aunt gave my mom one of those life-size, stand-up cardboard cut-outs of John Wayne for a joke. I put it in the window next to our back door so when anyone drove up or came in, there was John Wayne looking out the window at them. My sister didn't think that was cool so she would always move it and then I would put it back and then she would move it again. This went on for months.

Whenever I talk to my grandmother on the phone, my grandfather will pick up just so we can have a little banter from True Grit and then hang up. When they were here last week and I was in the parking lot headed to my car, my grandfather walked out to the balcony of the motel and we had to yell it to each other from there, too. He says, "Coooorrrrn Dodger?" Then I say, "Light a match, and let me see if there's blood on it first." Then he laughs and says, "We ain't lightin' no matches!" And once for his birthday, my mom and I got him a cake that said "Corn dodger" on it instead of "Happy Birthday." (Everytime we eat we also have to say another line from the True Grit: "I've had enough. And enough is as good as a feast."

John Wayne's favorite character he ever played was Ethan Edwards from The Searchers. He even named his son Ethan after him. My brother is also named Ethan. (Ethan Christopher that is. But my mom now wishes it were Ethan Chance, after JW's character in The Hellfighters.)

My brother Ethan loves John Wayne and has already started reciting his lines at age 4 (the legacy continues!).

A few years ago I was in Moab, and I made our group make a special trip to the lobby of the Apache Motel, where John Wayne stayed while filming a movie once, so I could get a picture of myself there---and they even had pictures of him hanging on the walls!

Last year I celebrated my birthday with a dinner at a restaurant a half-hour south of here called The True Grit Restaurant.

I have read 2 biographies of John Wayne.

I have been asked by more than one friend to recommend John Wayne movies to give to their dads. (including Schatze whose dad insists on calling him The King instead of The Duke. He knows that Elvis is the King, but insists that John Wayne is the King to him.)

It is normal for me to give at least one gift related to John Wayne a year to my mom.

My mom has written a letter to one of John Wayne's sons.

Only a few months into my job, my boss was in a meeting and he had his door open. He and the other man had both been Marines and our office is near the Iwo Jima Memorial so their topic of conversation turned to the movie The Sands of Iwo Jima. As I sat at my desk down the hall, I listened to them talk about the movie and spend a few minutes trying to remember John Wayne's character's name. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and just confessed to my eavesdropping by yelling down the hall "It's Seargant Striker!"

Besides owning John Wayne movies, I have a coffee table book on my shelf The Duke: A Life in Pictures as well as a CD America: Why I Love Her. It has patriotic music over which John Wayne narrates stories and poems about America.

While I was at BYU, Carly and I briefly got into writing at e-pinions.com. I wrote 2 v. passionate reviews of True Grit & The Quiet Man.

In 2004, a friend of mine had a St. Patrick's Day party where we watched The Quiet Man. It was a lovely affair and when we all received our invitations in the mail, they included a line stating that I would be there to talk about the movie with my vast John Wayne knowledge. It was a lot of pressure, but I really came through.

I have to admit that I feel like I know John Wayne and that he is part of my family. I think it's hereditary (my mom saw Big Jake in the theater 6 times as a kid)...or maybe it's just his manly man, tough guy, patriotic, father-figure image that none of us can resist.

5 comments:

Neil said...

Nothing against him, of course, but I've never even seen a single John Wayne movie all the way through. The closest I've come is watching the last half hour of Red River with my grandma. Yet I can one-up you on this and only this: I have been to his hometown and driven past the house where he grew up. Of course I don't have to name the town for you.

On a related note, have you noticed that movie characters are almost never from Utah? A few exceptions: Fletch, Punch Drunk Love, Ocean's 11 & 12, and at least one more. Can you guess it?

Carly said...

I can't believe you forgot to mention that you own a John Wayne drivers license! I was there when you bought it at the outlet mall in St. George, UT. Do you still have it? Do you still have the leather passport case that we bought there, too? Have you used yours? Me, neither.

Melissa said...

Neil: I think you are referring to "The Man from Utah" starring John Wayne. Red River is definitely not where you need to begin with John Wayne. I can recommend several that are MUCH better for you.
I'm jealous you've been to Winterset, the closest I've come is a picture of it. My grandpa went.

Carly: DUH! I do still have the driver's license. And I did use the passport case when I went to London and the DR. :)

Eliza said...

I've never seen a John Wayne movie.

Does that count as negative?

I can definitely, however, identify with loving something/someone so much that you obsess about it/them, quote it/them, and shout things like "It's Sergeant Striker!" to people who obviously don't love/obsess as much as you do.

Did that make sense? It's how I am with "The Sound of Music"...but that makes me sound wimpy...

Melissa said...

SkewedView: My favorite sidekicks are Old Mose and Victor McLachlan. And no one can beat Maureen O'Hara as his leading lady, that's for sure.

Raine: Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Lizer: You should check out The Quiet Man. It is not your usual John Wayne western or war movie. I read the short story it is based on in high school. It is set in Ireland and I bet you would like it. (This is the one they show the John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara kiss from in E.T. when Elliott is letting the frogs go.)