Wednesday, May 11, 2005

If It's Too Loud, Turn it Down

Well, my grandparents are out of here this morning, but not before some memorable times. For example, my grandfather called all restaurant servers, National Park Rangers, and basically any male working anywhere "Bud." He also was not happy that Chipotle (a restaurant serving ONLY tacos and burritos) didn't have any mustard.

My grandmother and I went shopping on Friday. And we had to go to multiple TJMaxx stores to find the right size in a certain pair of pants that she LOVED. And she loved them for me. And they are actually pretty cute, if you live at the beach.

But I have been thinking about living at the beach ever since I took a quiz online and Miami and Honolulu were in the top 5 cities in America that best fit me. It must be because I'm a "sun worshipper" as my grandmother likes to call me. I can't help it. I LOVE to be outside and feel the hot sun beating down on my skin. And for that skin to turn tan. If I could have my way, I would be this color year round:



However, I will just have to accept that I will be pale for 75% of the year. Plus that picture was taken after a trip to the Domincan Republic and two trips to Florida.

So I have a few recommendations for other sun worshippers out there and they are:

1. Olay Quench Radiance Reviver Body Lotion


and

2. Hoola bronzer by Benefit


Anyway, back to the story. After my grandmother took about 10 pictures of me in my new Miami pants, I said goodbye to my grandpa and her. Their trip was a lot of fun--very memorable.

And this morning, as I blared my new Weezer CD and blew bubbles with my Bubblicious Lebron's Lightning Lemonade gum, I realized I may have reverted back to my teenage years with my grandparents gone. I found myself hitting 2 different stores late last night looking for the new Weezer CD, solely because I felt like I needed to buy it on the day it came out. You see, this is me over 10 years ago:



This Weezer fan club card was made by the original fan club presidents Mykel and Carli (R.I.P.). The Blue Album was the first CD I ever owned. And I bought Pinkerton and the Green Album on the day they came out, so it is only natural that I should pick up Make Believe on its debut. As I walked into the store, I felt a pain of guilt about Maladroit--the only Weezer CD I don't own, and decided I better get it as well. However, it was the only Weezer CD that the record store didn't have either. I will just have to pick it up later I guess. They did have a Punk Tribute to Weezer--which I am interested in finding out more about--including a cover of "Tired of Sex" by a band called the "Latterday Saints."

I love the new CD, but it is my opinion they can never outdo the Blue Album. And having only listened all the way through once so far, my initial favorite song is "This is Such a Pity." And I'm back on the Weezer train.

13 comments:

Carly said...

I wish I could have a Marcy Dibbleblotts fan club card.

Carly said...

And I need to see a pic of those Miami pants.

kacy faulconer said...

You look good tan, bud.

Carly said...

Tell me one more thing: did a member of Weezer check himself into an insane asylum? If so, was it the lead singer? If not, why would someone start that rumor? One song on the Blue Album makes me think that there was an alcohol problem with one of them. Can't remember which song. Wait...Say it Aint So! That's it. I need a VH1 Behind the Music to set me straight.

Melissa said...

Cletis: idk about the insane asylum thing...but read this and it may shed some light on the lead singer Rivers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/AR2005051001608.html

But I still love him and want Shotzy to marry him.

Carrie Ann said...

I am well on my way to calling stranger adults "bud". I currently call my husband, my younger brother, and all children regardless of gender "bud". It's only a matter of time before I'm on to National Park Rangers.

I want to see those pants!

And that tan IS awesome. I will purchase both recommended products as soon as funds become available.

Neil said...

RE your grandparents visit: were the three of you at JFK's grave at approximately 6:50 p.m. last Sunday?

Alice said...

My goodness you have turned into quite the blogger girl since I’ve been away... all these links and pictures. Impressive!! (I STILL can’t do that stuff). I was introduced to Chipolte for the first time only YESTERDAY and I am a new fan. I think I am going to be like Ozzy Osborne and buy the burritos by the dozen and freeze them.

Eliza said...

Sad that you don't have Maladroit! A lot of people think it's kinda over the top but I like it. It took a few listens though. I'm hoping I'll like Make Believe, but Beverly Hills just does not impress me as a first single.

Yeah, so Maladroit. I don't know why, but Burndt Jamb is possibly my favorite Weezer song ever (besides Only in Dreams and Getchoo and Devotion and...lots of other ones actually)--anyway, buy Maladroit if only for Burndt Jamb and the weird couch man on the album cover.

Love the fan club card. Very nice.

Melissa said...

Neil: Yes, I was at JFK's grave at 6:50pm on Sunday in Miami pants. Where were you hiding?

Rebecca: Glad you found Chipotle. Brilliant idea on freezing the burritos. I actually prefer the crispy tacos though.

Raine: I should probably worry about my skin a little more than I do.

Lizer: I don't know why I didn't get Maladroit, but I will. I love all those songs too, plus My Name is Jonas, Island in the Sun, Hashpipe, Knock Down Drag Out, ok I'll just stop there.

Melissa said...

Oh, also Carrie Ann, re: the Hoola. It is a little pricey but definitely worth it. Mine lasted over a year, but be careful with the brush they give you because it can apply pretty heavily. I always shake it out REALLY WELL in the little tray they give you or even sometimes use just a large powder brush in it lightly.

Neil said...

I was stalking you! Just kidding. We must have gotten there a little past you--I saw you (well, I wasn't sure so I had to ask) walking down the hill from the grave with your grandparents. I admit I didn't get a good look at your outfit, but from a distance the Miami pants looked cute!

Eliza said...

I finally read the v.g. Washington Post article.

I still think he's a weirdo!