Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Obsessions: Past & Present

In no particular order, here are some of my life's obsessions:

Weezer. In a previous post, I showed my Weezer fan club card. I joined in high school and would get monthly updates in the mail from the fan club presidents. They even sent us an annual listing of all the other Weezer fan club members so we could meet up with other locals. And when I was a Freshman at BYU, I got a call from a fellow club member in a nearby dorm. I force myself to listen to the cds over and over until I love every song, especially the ones that take awhile to grow on me.

NASCAR. Say what you want, I think it is C-O-O-L.

Top Gun: When I was a Freshman at BYU, I watched this movie about once a week. I felt the need, the need for speed. During the opening credits when the screen is on that talks about the school and then ends with "they call it...Top Gun"----yeah, I had that memorized.

BYU Basketball player to remain nameless. In my scrapbook from my Freshman year, I have pictures I cut out of him from The Daily Universe Sports section. But we DID go to the Heritage Halls Invitational together! After he returned from his mission and basketball practice had started, I bought a new outfit and waited on some stairs in the RB I knew he would have to pass on his way back from practice to the Fieldhouse. When he did pass, I act surprised to see him. After we talked, and he asked if he could come over that night then headed over to the Fieldhouse, there was some major hug-jumping between Carly and me in the Intramural office.

John Wayne. I don't think I need to explain this to any of you after last week's post.

Romeo & Juliet. The movie. With Leonardo. I have a page in my scrapbook dedicated to it, too. I saw it 3x in the theater. I have the soundtracks (Vol. 1 & Vol. 2) This obsession post is making me realize I was a freaky, nutso Freshman.

One of the local bands in Provo from my Freshman year (again), and another obsession that will remain nameless. My partners in crime (and "crime" is more literal than you know) and I went to every concert they had. I had a t-shirt and a CD. If there were words on the CD we couldn't understand, we would record that song onto a tape and listen to it in slow motion. I won't even write anymore, because the rest is too shameful.

Food. Yes, just food in general. I LOVE it. Dang. I need to get some right now.

Baby Names. Well, I guess mostly just names in general. I like to know name meanings, middle names, write lists of names I like, etc. I have been doing it forever. Once Lizer blogged about it, and then we had to email and share all our favorites.

The Number 9. It's so cool. I was a math geek in high school. Thank goodness for DVD players because I can get distracted watching the VCR counter waiting for it to hit multiples of 9. If any number is short enough (less than 6 digits or so), I quickly figure out if it is a multiple of 9 or not.

Italy. It all started with Italian class at BYU and the bello men who taught it. And there was Carly which only fueled the obsession fire. We bought dresses to wear to a club there (our Italy dresses) and leather passport cases to use when we went. We took pictures of ourselves making gnocchi at my apartment and left them in our teacher's mailbox. I could go on and on. Really. Have either of us been yet? No.

Ok although, I could go on with more obsessions, I'll just stop here and conclude with:

Blogging. My roommates fear my blogging obsession. "Where's Marcy?" "Probably blogging." Wayne leaves me notes on her computer b/c she knows I will get them when I go to check blogs in the basement on my Fridays off. All of you who have blog trackers probably think I am a stalker....And according to this post, I haven't done a dang thing to prove you wrong.

6 comments:

Carly said...

I thought only the boys in the ROTC were obsessed with Top Gun! They probably take it further than you ever did, though. Like one time when I was invited to the ROTC ball, a group of ROTCers stood up and started singing "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" just like Tom Cruise did in the movie. Now THAT'S taking it too far. Do you still have your non-BYU approved Italy dress? I think I finally gave up on mine.

Melissa said...

Carly: It's put away in a drawer with my Gilligan and O'Mally.

kacy faulconer said...

Will you e-mail me and tell me Lizer's favorite baby names? She's so secretive. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I knew. Oh, and you're crazy.

(Just Kidding--the 9 thing is a little Rainman though.)

Melissa said...

Kacy: I will check with Lizer and forward her names with her permission. I can't break her trust after she shared her big secret.
In case you hadn't noticed, for the last month or so, I have been adjusting the time posted of all my blog posts to be multiples of 9. Sincerely, Raymond Babbit

Suzie Petunia said...

I, for one, am grateful for your blogging obsession, because without it I would not know you. OK, "know" is a strong word. But, I like your blog.

Melissa said...

Skewedview: Thanks for the Sally Sunflower addition to my obsession list.

Raine: I will check out Breaking Away, I have never seen it. Also thanks for the article link...very interesting.

Suzie: I'm glad to "know" you too.