Wednesday, January 05, 2005

"Sarah Jessica Parker Already Has a Rolex! Need Yours? Amputee"

This is the subject line of a spam e-mail I got today...where do they come up with this stuff?

When I was thirteen years old, I had my first "boyfriend." His name was Tony and I was at least a head taller than him. Tony sat in front of me in Math and Science, and we were always cutting up and getting in trouble for talking and laughing. Then one day I got a note asking me if I would "go" with him. I answered yes and there I was in my first relationship.

After the note, though, things got a little weird between me and Tony. Everyone knew we were going together, but did everyone else know that this actually meant nothing? We didn't talk much in class anymore. We didn't sit together in lunch. We didn't talk on the phone. But this was exactly the way I liked it, after all I WAS thirteen.

During my 6 months as Tony's girlfriend, our boyfriend/girlfriend activities consisted of slowdancing twice at a friend's birthday party, sitting by each other at a school pizza party, and finally climaxing on Valentine's Day when Tony gave me a Garfield Valentine card and a stuffed white dog that actually looked like a demonic red-eyed rabbit creature with a red ribbon that said "I Love You" around its neck.

Shortly after that, I decided I wanted to break up with Tony. At the end of the day when we were leaving school, my friend Stephanie stood at the front door of the school and announced the numbers or names over the intercom that allowed us to leave when our parents arrived to pick us up. I gave her a note to give to Tony as he left the building that afternoon that said "Tony, I think we should just be friends. Marcy"

Stephanie informed me that she had given him the note and I knew that we were then broken up. I felt relieved and things went on as they had before...laughing and talking in Science and Math.

Then a couple months later, I went to my locker at the end of the day and there was a note taped inside that read, "Marcy, I think we should just be friends. Tony."

To this day, I am still not sure what happened with our breakup and if he is still going around thinking he dumped me. I saw his dad over Christmas at the grocery store. Maybe I should have given him a message to pass along, "You tell Tony I broke up with him first!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This frankly sounds a lot like a lot of relationships I have had in my life. Not just as a 13 year old. I'm just happy to know that Sarah Jessica has a Rolex. I almost got her one for Christmas.

Carly said...

Two questions: 1.Are you on the mailing list for amputees or something? What is up with that spam title? is "Amputee" the name of a person? 2. How could Tony ever want to break up with my Marcy?

Melissa said...

All good questions, Carly. Perhaps I am on an amputee mailing list, I don't know. I also get the John Cougar Mellencamp Newsletter and I don't know how that happened either. It's actually now just the John Mellencamp sans Cougar, but I can't tear myself away from saying Cougar. That is my favorite thing about him.

Why would Tony break up with Marcy? I really don't know. Maybe it was that I could prop my chin on the top of his head if I wanted to.

Anonymous said...

I'm blown away by the fact that you saw a man in a grocery store and knew it was your 13 year old boyfriend's dad. Your current boyfriend isn't thirteen, the one you had when you were thirteen. And I don't want to see you passing up the chance to set the record stright again, young lady!

Alice said...

Tony, you jerk! I hope you lost an arm or something.

Melissa said...

Kaycee, Thanks. I thought it might suck people in. And I thought I might draw in a few peeps who google "Sarah Jessica Parker and amputee", etc..