Monday, January 03, 2005

More About Food

Is anyone getting annoyed by my series of short blogs giving you a blow by blow of my day? I would be.

Well, "what did I get for lunch?" you ask. Perhaps you would guess a steak, a coke and some chocolate cake. You would be wrong.

I would have liked that, however a steak lunch seemed a little excessive. Or maybe I am just inappropriately dressed to go in anywhere I could get a steak (Tad's in Time Square I need you now). I hit snooze for an hour this morning which resulted in my mis-matched comfortable work appearance today. I would actually consider sleeping in what I am wearing right now, with the exception of the jeans.

Anyhow, I felt in the mood for a hearty meal. I know that the recent Holidays are a time of eating and eating and more eating, but frankly I didn't eat all that much, it is 1:40pm and I haven't had a morsel of food since 3pm yesterday, and I have not yet made my New Years Resolutions prohibiting poor food choices. So I decided to indulge myself in some Safeway Chicken Tenders. Plus they make a decent macaroni and cheese.

As strange as it sounds, chicken tenders from the Safeway Grocery Store deli are MMMMMMMMMazing. They are spicy to just the right degree and delicious with the Naturally Fresh brand of honey mustard which I happily pay 50 cents for over the free honey mustard packets they will give you at the counter. Once I thought I would be a smart shopper and just buy a jar of the NF honey mustard and keep it in the fridge at work, but it was not even close to the taste of these little cups of it.

So I walked down to Safeway excited for my Chicken Tenders and Mac & Cheese. As I came down the sidewalk I peeked in the grocery store window to make sure they had the NF Honey Mustard cups like I always do before I waste my time actually going inside the store to look. They had just been stocked and I rushed in where I found NO chicken tenders. I mean they didn't even have any of the deli containers of them I could microwave. Only zing ding wings, and come on, I do have standards.

I immediately exited Safeway not knowing where I was going to get my hearty meal. I somehow ended up in Quizno's where I ordered a philly cheesesteak, no onions. The thing is, if I am going to eat this rottenly unhealthy meal I really should have walked the 5 blocks to Jerry's Pizza and Subs where I could actually get a GOOD cheesesteak instead of this one that has a ridiculous amount of diluted herb mayonnaise disguised as white cheddar cheese sauce. Also they didn't have cheese puffs or cool ranch doritos. They did have cheetos, which I always like more than I think I do, but they are definitely not in the same league as cheese puffs. So I opted for the nacho cheese Doritos. Armed with my cheesesteak, chips and drink, I realized I could at least get a cookie. But they were out of the Chocolate Chocolate Chip I love so I got a peanut butter.

I just had an epiphany...Peanut Butter cookies with Chocolate Chips in them. YUM. I need to try this ASAP. I wonder why I have never thought of this before.

I love chocolate and peanut butter together, which brings me to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. The little ones are good, but nothing beats the big ones that come in the 2-pack candy bar size. The ratio of peanut butter to chocolate is just right...But if you are looking for the perfect peanut butter cup, try Whitman's. I got some in my stocking and they were SO good. When we went to see National Treasure, my stepmom got a ziploc bag and was putting candy in it to take in her purse I added some from my stocking but selfishly poured all the Whitman's peanut butter cups in my coat pocket and only shared a few with my dad.

Moving on to another selfish move I made regarding peanut butter and chocolate over Christmas, I gave away what ended up being my favorite treat. The day before I left work for Christmas break, a client of ours sent us a giant box filled with Mrs. Fields goodies. We all got a sack and filled it and I took mine in the car for my road trip. I had all kinds of cookies, brownies and "krunch" treats. I didn't know what the krunch treats were but when I squeezed them slightly between my fingers they felt as hard as rocks. I thought they must be some sort of hard wafer topped with chocolate or like whatever that hard part of Butterfingers are....so I opted to give them away, eating the soft brownies and cookies whenever possible. As I handed my next to last krunch to my dad at a football game, he bit in and exclaimed, "Wow. this is so good. It's like a rice krispie treat with peanut butter and chocolate on the top." I resisted the urge to grab the remaining krunch half from him and savored the last one I still had in the sack in my car when the game was over.

7 comments:

Alice said...

Dear me Marcy. I am away for a day and so much has happened. I feel very behind! Well, now caught up.

Melissa said...

Heidi--It's true. Although when she visited me last month, I witnessed her eat a burger with lettuce and tomato on it, as well as eat mac & cheese. But it was the best macaroni and cheese ever so I think she made an exception.

Kelly--we COULD be blog friends. However, I see that you have blocked your blog. Who is shutting the door on friendship now?

Melissa said...

Carly would also get diet coke. Which gives ME the willies.

Carly said...

Hey, Marcy and Heidi, if you have something to say to me, say it to my BLOG, not behind my back like this.

kacy faulconer said...

January 4, 2005
Alas. Marcy's blog did not prove to be the sanctuary for talking about Carly behind her back that I had hoped it would be. Drat. Foiled again.

Alice said...

Oh Miss M.D. there is a gift for you over at my blog, but you really must thank Kaycee!!

Now... no more tears!

Anonymous said...

Marcy-you are smoking crack. The best peanut butter cups are the holiday ones, more specifically the christmas tree and the pumpkin. what are you thinking?