Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Grandma's Pajamas

I come from a very generous family. And when I go home to visit, I seem to invoke a strong desire in them to give me things. For the past 8 years or so, whenever I go home, my mom tries to give me her make-up. This is totally unrelated to the "go put on some lipstick" comments I get from other family members. My mom just has a heart of gold.

For example, if I walk into her room and she is putting on her makeup and I compliment her eye shadow, she'll say, "Here take it." I insist that I don't want it, I was just complimenting her. To which she insists that she wants me to have it. It is rare that I will return from a trip home without something half-used from my mom's make-up.

Recently my mom has been redecorating the living room. She is really into HGTV, etc and before I went home for Christmas she kept saying things like, "Wait 'til you see my new picture over the couch" or "You're going to love the flowers on the table by the door," etc. So of course, when I got home I ranted and raved over how great everything looked, complimenting all the new pieces she had acquired. At which point, she started trying to give them all to me.

While at my grandmother's house, she asked me what I had gotten for Christmas from my Dad's family. In passing I mentioned I had received some pajamas. She said, "pajamas?" as if it were the strangest thing she'd ever heard. I mentioned that when my dad had asked what I wanted I said pajamas...just some long sleeve cotton ones because sometimes my flannel ones are just too hot. She IMMEDIATELY ran back to her room and said "Well, I have some pajamas you can have." I thanked her and took them home. When I pulled them out of my suitcase, they reeked of "Woman" perfume, which is about a 1/2 step down from the Imposters line of fragrances, if you ask me.

Of course, I threw them into the laundry and last night I decided just to try them out. Why not? I'm sure she is going to ask me if I have worn them soon...She likes to follow up over and over about things. I am going to tell her I wore them while watching "Brigham City." That would seriously make her day.

Anyway, when she gave them to me she told me she had gotten them for herself but the arms were just a little tight and pulled on her so they weren't comfortable. So last night I put on these 100% polyester grandma pajamas and inspected myself. I wish I had taken a pic in the mirror like Kaycee did. I couldn't help but laugh as I slipped on the navy blue pants, which didn't even match the shirt, only to find that she had hemmed them. My grandmother is 6" shorter than me and so I'm sure you can imagine how great these pants looked. Then I went in to brush my teeth and as I went to open the medicine cabinet, I noticed that the seam down the underside of the arm of the shirt looked weird. I was thinking, "Gosh, where did she buy these? Did she make them herself?" Then I remembered her telling me that the sleeves had been too tight on her and so apparently she had let the sleeves out, leaving the extra fabric sewn on the outside of the garment.

I was a sight as I crawled into bed in my too-short, huge-sleeved, flowered, polyester Grandma pajamas last night. But I couldn't ask for a nicer family.

6 comments:

Carly said...

I almost bought you pajamas for Christmas instead of what I actually got you. But they were flannel, so I am glad I didn't get them. I wish I could have seen you last night for real. I am currently in a pajama obsession, feeling that I need to be wearing cuter, matching-top-and-bottom things to bed. I also saw Sarah Jessica Parker wearing a really cute nightgown on TV the other day and have been wanting one for a long time. I'll have to check the "o"

Melissa said...

I got a really cute nightgown at Target. You should check it out, they are only like $15...but for the summer. The one I got is light blue cotton and long, and it has gathered cap sleeves. Then it has like a gathered X across the stomach area. It's hard to explain but I love it.

Alice said...

It is very sweet that your grandmother gave you the pj’s she had altered to fit her… and it is funny that she automatically assumed they would fit you regardless of her alterations. Getting a kick out of this story… I am sure you were a ray of beauty in your polyester!

Carrie Ann said...

Is your mother Japanese? That would explain the obligation to give you everything you compliment. Lucky girl on the makeup though. That stuff can add up! Bless you for trying on the PJs, I might have had to lie to Grandma...

Alicia said...

I totally agree with you on the "Woman" smell. As I read your blog, I think I actually got a whiff.

Alice said...

Marcy… I have been away from the blog world due to some work issues and decided that tonight I would take a weekend night off from my amazing social scene to catch up with my blog friends… I could be out dancing, meeting handsome boys, enjoying girlfriends, but no, tonight is all about you baby.

Enter Rebecca stage left into "How Am I Doin’". Feelings of guilt for the neglect she has shown among her blog friends tear her soul to pieces ONLY to discover that really she has not neglected Marcy. Rather Dibblebots HAS NEGLECTED HER!!

Nothing new here, nope … still grandma’s pj’s!