Monday, September 19, 2005

I'm Hungry (But Not as Hungry as Renee)

Inspired by Reese Witherspoon's hair in Just Like Heaven (the only inspiring thing in that movie), I used a curling iron yesterday for the first time in about 6 years. Unfortunately, my hair didn't turn out like hers, AND I was told by 3 different people at church that my dress looked like a Barbie doll. Frankly, I didn't know how to take that. It doesn't seem like anyone meant it as an insult, but it really wasn't what I was going for either.

At church, the Very Good Question Asker approached me to compliment my lipstick. I like her. I mean I don't really know her, but she seems quirky and nice. And when she was talking to me, I thought, "I bet she would be fun to be friends with, but now I have gone and ruined my chances."

I could just delete every mention of her on my blog, but then the anonymous commenter and friend of VGQA would always know about it and I would be living a lie. Maybe I could confess to her and ask her forgiveness and tell her that I think she gave a great lesson in Relief Society a couple of weeks ago and that I think she is quirky and nice and want to be friends with her...that I really meant no harm but was just looking for some funny blodder. She seems forgiving, especially after she made a comment in Relief Society yesterday about a courageous confession she had to make in the 8th grade. She could read my blog and we could be friends who link arms and hold our heads back and laugh together. It just seems like the kind of person she is.

So, in summary:

1. Saw Just Like Heaven which I thought was going to be ridiculous. And was even more ridiculous than I expected. Liked Reese's hair (when she was alive and not spirit), tried to copy, but instead ended up looking like girl with hair from 80's wearing dress made for doll.
2. Realized have ruined chances of friendship through blogging.

AND:

3. Washed car myself in driveway. Did such terrible job on windexing front window that can barely see out of it now.
4. Had dinner of 1 box Kraft Mac & Cheese combined with 1 can chili. It was good, despite what some food snobs (Neil) think.
5. Felt my "Name that Song" contest was so important that, when internet failed at home, went to library (unshowered in shorts, t-shirt, flip flops and pony tail) and waited in line to use the internet.
6. Was surprisingly excited to hear Sara Evans cover of Bruce Hornsby's "Every Little Kiss" on album checked out at library.
7. Took 3 naps Saturday.
8. Ate 3 donuts Sunday. (FYI: THIS is the first pic that comes up when you search google images for "Krispy Kreme.")
9. Heard about Renee and Kenny's breakup. Was anyone surprised after she got married in that dress with a giant buckle on the bottom?
10. Carly and I reminisced about the first time we studied together...during which I ate a chili dog and she me told that she was an expert at browning hamburger meat. We immediately made plans to move in together.

The End.

11 comments:

Carly said...

Oh man. The minute I saw you hunched over the coffee table eating a chili dog I knew we were soul mates.

Eliza said...

I like Reese’s hair in the movie too, although I haven’t seen the movie yet, just pics. I think I know what you mean. Anyway, the girl who cuts my hair recently showed me a 1 1/2” curling iron trick for that very look. Maybe you tried this, but you take a strand of hair and wrap it around the barrel yourself (unlike the traditional clamp-at-the-end, wrap-hair-automatically-by-twisting-the-iron method), leaving a few inches of hair sticking out of the clamp. Don’t hold it for too long. Then some hairspray and you’re done!

That may have been the worst explanation ever, and I don’t have any pics of myself to prove that what I think is cute = what you think is cute, but I tried it myself and it actually looked good, rather Reese-y and not at all ringlety, if I do say so myself. It took a few tries before I could do it in less than 15 minutes though (the wrapping part is awkward).

Melissa said...

Carly, you had me at the green Nikes.

Lizer: I will give it a try, I think I know what you mean. I have seen pics of you from your blog and I think what you think is cute is cute. 15 mins though...that is really going to cut into my post-shower nap.

Anonymous said...

Apparently the VGQA gets around in the blogosphere and you've probably already been found out. My husband came in second to her first in a BYU Founders Day writing contest and they worked together at the Writing Center. Quirky and nice sounds familiar.

Anonymous said...

I was slightly surprised to see Renee Zellweger a la Krispy Kreme. When did she ever look like that?

Melissa said...

VGQA: Are you out there?

Emily: I think I remember reading that she gained all her Bridget Jones weight by eating Krispy Kremes, hence the link...

Eliza said...

I’m pretty sure that, although RZ gained plenty of weight to become BJ, she did not actually gain that much weight, and the KK image is simply a mockery. Right? Wrong? No idea, really.

MD: Good luck with the waves. Once I did a little practicing I had the technique down and it only takes a few minutes, especially if you don’t have very thick hair (which I don’t).

Anonymous said...

"At church, the Very Good Question Asker approached me to compliment my lipstick."

I think I interrupted this. Sorry.

"VGQA: Are you out there?"

Nah. VGQA is strictly a mainstream - Times and Seasons, Millennial Star - blogger. But she is quite nice, and every good thing she says is completely sincere.

She's always overwhelmed with busyness, so it's not like she'd start searching through the archives for references to herself if she were to find this blog. So just wait for this post to fall of the front page, then never mention her again. And in six years when you've cried on each others' shoulders and you've maybe saved her life, then you can tell and have a mutual warm laugh over how silly you were to be worried. Actually, that would probably happen if you told her tomorrow. She's that type.

Until then, though, I solemnly renew my vow never to tell.

-ACAFOVGQA

Carly said...

As Marcy Dibbleblotts' acting best friend, I'm afraid I can't let this continue. If she's going to cry on anyone's shoulder or save anyone's life, it will be MY shoulder, and MY life.

Melissa said...

Hoss, please don't be jeal of VGQA. I'm sure she can't brown hamburger meat like you do. No one can.

Kelly said...

Oh, heavens, I didn't even notice the belt buckle when I saw the picture before. Obviously doomed to fail. Bad fashion has no mercy.