Monday, February 07, 2005

Please never call me a man’s name.

I have 2 names. Even though Marcy is just a nickname, it has been around long enough, and I’m called Marcy by enough people, that I consider it, well not the same as my real name, but close. The problem lies in shortening it, which often happens. Well, I guess just shortening it in writing is the problem. For example, shorten Marcy to one syllable in your mind, sans the –ee sound at the end. Now think about how you would spell it. When you see Marc, you want to say Mark. And when you see Mars, you say Marz. I could spell it Marss, I guess, but that looks weird and still doesn’t necessarily get the point across. Plus, I generally don’t write it-- it’s usually other peeps writing to me, for example in an email that says, “Hey Marc, how’s your day?”
Oh well. What’s a girl to do?

So my real name is Melissa and I feel like most of you know that. And if not, you obviously haven’t clicked on my e-mail address on my profile page. There are several nicknames for Melissa and I have been called all of them.

Missy: My family calls me this and I like it fine. I think it is sweet. I am not the kind of girl who would ever go by Missy though.

Melis: I like this one also. I guess I just like nicknames in general, unless they are masculine.

Ed and Amy in my office are always calling me Melis. My boss has never used it, but obviously he has heard everyone else using it. Amy told me that once she was in with our boss when he was on the phone. He told the woman on the phone that she needed to contact me, and said to her, “Oh, you need to talk with Melissa in our office about that. Just give her a call. Actually, she goes by Melis. That’s M-E-L-I-S…”

Mel: I hate this one. I think it has to do with the masculine nature of the word, similar to Marc. The only person who has ever called me Mel when I didn’t cringe was Rudy. And that was years ago, and he was handsome and from the Dominican Republic. So unless you fit those criteria, please refrain.

That reminds me of a wooden carving my grandparents used to have hanging in their kitchen. I remember when I was really young, maybe 5 or 6, always reading it and trying to figure out what it meant. It said, “If you don’t like someone, the way he holds his spoon will drive you crazy. If you do like him, he can dump his plate in your lap and you won’t mind.” I remember asking my dad what it meant, and he explained it to me. But I didn’t truly understand until years later.

During that time I was home schooled, just for a about a year and a half, then I went to public school, then a Catholic school, then back to a public school. Anyway, the other day I stumbled on a blog by a homeschooler, “My life as a Teenage Partial Insomniac” by a 14-year-old in Missouri. In my tradition of bookmarking teenage blogs, I did so. What I found so strange is, only after reading this blog for over a month, did I realize I had been mistaken the entire time in thinking it was a boy writing it. It disturbed me that I had made this huge mistake and I wanted to go back and re-read all her blogs and see if I had missed any major clues about her gender.

Speaking of teenage blogs, I was sad to see today that The Alex Morrisse has decided not to blog anymore.

11 comments:

Alicia said...

I too have had issues trying to figure out how to spell my nickname. See, since my real name is Alicia, also on my email on profile page, it makes it hard to shorten in nickname form, written down. When people call me 'licia, it's fine to write down, but what if they just want to call me "leash/leesh" Let's get real- "leesh" looks ugly, and who wants to be a dog "leash"? So the best I've come up with has been this spelling of my shortened name--- 'lic"
I realize that make come off as a misspelling of lick, but it's sure not. It makes sense because when you're making a contraction, you use the apostrophe to take the place of the missing letter and since I'm ommitting an "A" at the beginning and two letters at the end, it's totally valid to use an apostrophe and quotation marks.
It makes sense in my head. I apologize for the length of this comment.
I had a good friend name Marci and she always wrote her name as Marce.

Carrie Ann said...

What about M'Arse...I think at least people would get the pronunciation down... :)

I've solved the nick name problemo...My name is Carrie. My middle name WAS Ann until I took control of the situation. So I just decided to go by Carrie Ann, so that in peoples' efforts to nickname me, they could just call me Carrie. Because I am not too fond of the nickname Care because it implies a level of...well...caring, that makes me uncomfortable.

The nick names I like best are the ones that are longer than my real name: Carabeaner, Carrie Antwerp, Pantelones...

Carly said...

What about 'Lissa? Holden calls you that and I think it is sweet. I'll tell you what the worst name on earth to have is: Carly. Because peeps either call you CarlA (yucky, reminds me of Carla on Cheers) or they think your name is short for Carlysle when they call your name on a roll for the first time (I got that a lot in junior high). My sisters used to call me "Car" which I used to hate because of the unflattering reference to a gas-guzzling vehicle. With Carly you can't win. Think about that one, little miss name-that-means-sweet-as-honey.

kacy faulconer said...

You don't have it so bad, Carlanlewan/Lotus. I, however, am stuck with ZOID. And when I say that, I hold my hand up in a Star Trek Federation Salutation. GREETINGS EARTHLING.

Alice said...

I can’t believe everyone is telling there real name in blog land today. I mean, I know you are Melissa because I emailed you in an effort to win a prize… which I didn’t win. BUT I felt special being part of the group that gotta know your real name, and then you go and tell every one? The whole entire world? And Star? I had no idea your name was Alicia… what gives, I feel I should have received some special email informing me that today you would also be revealing your identity to the whole world wide web, but are emailing me first to let me know before everyone else. Maybe I am just too self centered.

As to nick names I was laughing the other day at just how many people in blog land have started calling me Becca (as a result of Cameron and the name of his blog I think). I go by Rebecca, just Rebecca. My family calls me Becca because they have known me my entire life and at one point I was a little girl and Becca just seemed more little girl then did Rebecca… Cameron being nearly family also calls me Becca, but what is funny is all the peeps I’ve never met in my life calling me Becca.

Wow… that was a lot of words I just posted to your blog.

Well, thanks Melissa and Alicia for jolting me just know…

Yours,

Rebecca Elyse

Suzie Petunia said...

M'Arse, Carrie (just plain "Carrie" without the "Ann"), Alicia, Car and ZOID (Zoid? Really? How?),
I would feel left out if my true identity was not also revealed: Sarah Beth Oscarson Giles the first. My dad called me "Suzie Petunia" when I was small, but I've never asked him why, or found out where it came from. I have no other nickname that I can think of, except "mom". Ho hum.

I DID spell my name "Saira" in 7th grade because...I was in 7th grade. It never really caught on... no not really.

Melissa said...

'lic" : very clever, but I think if I saw it, I would say Lick.

M'arse. love it. Lissa--love it. just love the fact that Holden is talking about me actually.

Rebecca: I'm afraid I have written Becca on occasion. Sorry about that.

I love all the comments about everyone's nicknames. So insightful (Zoid, Carlanlewan/Lotus, Suzie/Sarah). Keep 'em coming.

I have to share that I have even received a nickname for my last name...by some I am called "Puckmonkey."

Suzie Petunia said...

"Puckmonkey?" More info, please.

Where did "Dibbleblots" come from?

Suzie Petunia said...

I mean, "Dibbleblotts".

Melissa said...

Suzie: Take a look at my first ever blogpost to understand Dibbleblotts.

http://mgp2.blogspot.com/2004/10/my-first-blog-of-nonsense.html

Puckmonkey is just part of my last name + Monkey given to me by a former friend of a former roommate. Did you know bombshells love monkeys? I learned it in "The Bombshell Manual of Style." They also love Juicy Fruit.

Anonymous said...

i feel like I am at an AA meeting (not that I have ever been to one) with people sharing their first names. I am actually close to tears. Way to come together america.