Saturday, February 12, 2005

The New Lucy

Recently I've read several articles mentioning a comparison of Jennifer Aniston's comedic timing to that of Lucille Ball. I disagree. First of all, I will say that I do love Lucy. Perhaps it isn't the funniest show on earth and sometimes she gets on my nerves, but I grew up watching Lucy reruns and think there is something to be said for her and her comedy. She was a breakthrough in the world of "girls being funny," and that is something I can get behind.

I would like to put forth my opinion that Debra Messing is the New Lucille Ball, and not just because of the redhead thing. Watch her. She is funny. She IS like Lucy.

I do not, however, want this post to be considered as a promotion for The Wedding Date. As a matter of fact, I would recommend not seeing it. I didn't expect a lot out of it, just for it to be a cute little love story as most chick flicks are. It is basically a reverse Pretty Woman that has no continuity. I found myself continually asking, "What?" because things were so choppy and the story was unappealing and ridiculous. The only things it had going for it were 1) London, 2) Debra's character's suitcases 3) beautiful clothes & scenery and 4) Dermot Mulroney, who can't even act but is just so pretty.

Anyway, like I said, don't waste your time. But I still love Debra.

3 comments:

Carly said...

I completely agree with you. I am usually a little resentful when people say "so and so is the new [insert famous person from twenty + years ago." For example, I HATED it when peeps used to call Oasis the "new Beatles." PLEASE! And even worse was when Kurt Cobain offed himself, and everyone went flying around crying out that he was just like John Lennon. And once someone foolishly called the lead singer of Third Eye Blind the "new Bono." It makes me angry. Bet Debra Messing really IS the new Lucy.

Suzie Petunia said...

Two thumbs DOWN for The Wedding Date. I thoroughly enjoy Debra on Will and Grace, but she was not made for the big screen. And this particular script should not have been made for anyone! People were actually walking out of it, and I dare say my sister and I probably would have also if we could have gotten our money back. TERRIBLE all the way around.

But the luggage WAS beautiful. They somehow even managed to botch the one thing they had going... Carrie Ann pointed out that if she ever makes a movie, she will make sure the prop luggage LOOKS FULL!

Carrie Ann said...

hear, hear, M'Arse, you are SO correct. Sorry you had to see the Wedding Date too. If I had seen it first I TOTALLY would have warned you!

BTW - when are you coming out here? Is there a chance we could all meet for a little lunchy-poo? Not a lunch of poo...I was just trying to be cute..