Tuesday, November 02, 2004

"Here's to all my sisters out there keepin' it country ...

Some great country songs I love right now:

Suds in the Bucket--Sara Evans
I Bought the Shoes--Dierks Bentley
Remember When--Alan Jackson
Watch the Wind Blow By--Tim McGraw
Better Man--Clint Black
Beer for My Horses--Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
You're My Better Half--Keith Urban

Okay these are just a few off the top of my head--songs I would listen to right now if I could. I wanted to include this post because I've been thinking lately about how I hated country for almost my whole life simply because I didn't think it was cool to like it. (Yes, this is true even though I grew up in Tennessee.)

I still LOVE all kinds of other music, but I am happy to have recently added the country genre to my tastes. I can say I have now listened to enough country to even start developing opinions about it---for example:

I don't like Terri Clark. That hat bugs me and I don't think it looks good on her. I also haven't heard a song by her I like...unless maybe there are some from my pre-country-listening days. (Why is Johnny Depp/Captain Jack Sparrow in her "Girls Lie Too" video?? This makes no sense and I hate this song.)

I don't like the lead singer's voice in the band Rascal Flatts (this does not mean I hate all RF songs).

I like George Strait less than I thought. (I still like him, but my attraction level has gone from an 8 to about a 4).

I like some Tim McGraw songs. I am more attracted to him than I used to be (2 to a 7), but he is more of a showy superstar than a real country singer...He knows how to pick a chart topper and is a good showman but not a lot of substance there. I could listen to "Watch the Wind Blow By" all day though (and I have).

The cheesiness of a lot of the lyrics doesn't bother me like I thought it would. I also really enjoy their story-lined videos.

Dierks Bentley (pronounced Durks; it's his mother's maiden name, which makes it better but not okay) is my new heart throb.

www.dierksbentley.com

Also, does it really make sense to become a NASCAR fan and be intolerant of country? I don't think so. So my new metamorphosis into a country girl has begun. If only I could get my thick Southern accent back. I'll work on that, ya'll.

2 comments:

Carly said...

Well, you are officially Lisa's "Little Country Girl" so it makes sense, doesn't it?

kacy faulconer said...

I appreciate your integrity. I can just imagine all the NASCAR people yelling at you, "What, too good for country?" so it's good that you are going through this metamorphosis.