Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I'll Have to Say I Love You In a Song

I listen to music a lot and pretty much every song I know conjures up some sort of memory. Whether it's a person, an event, a movie, a certain time in my life or even just a previous time I heard that song, something comes to mind. In fact, there are some songs I like for purely sentimental reasons. Here are some songs that remind me of you.

K.D. Lang, Shadowland: Not only is this album GREAT, it also reminds me of the countless times I listened to it in the car or at the pool with my family. I still remember which songs were everyone's favorites. (Skewedview's: "Tears Don't Care Who Cries Them," Charlotte's: "I Wish I Didn't Love You So," Justine's: "Sugar Moon," and mine: "Too Busy Being Blue.") Also I used to dance every night when I lived with Carly to "Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes" from this album.

Linda Rondstadt, Cry Like a Rainstorm: There is no way I would own or love this CD like I do without Skewedview's influence.

"The Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks: Chuckie

Sarah McLachlan and "Cherish" by Madonna: Cathy.

"The Macarena": This reminds me of my family high school graduation party and especially Patty doing the macarena in the driveway.

Mariah Carey's remake of "I'll Be There," Kelly Clarkson: Terri

"Hello, Goodbye" by the Beatles: Christmas shopping with the girls in the family and all singing our different parts in British accents.

"Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne: Wayne

All other Fountains of Wayne, Lucinda Williams, HEM, "The Promise" by When in Rome and Bruce Springsteen: Neil

"Brass in Pocket" by the Pretenders, U2, Bob Dylan, Garbage, Andrea Boccelli and NEK: Carly.

"Breakdown" by Tom Petty: Carly, Neil.

All R.E.M.: Kacy.

Belinda Carlisle, Steve Winwood, Van Morrison, and all Motown: my mom.

Perry Como: my grandpa.

Tina Turner, Lionel Ritchie: Schatze.

Bon Jovi, Joe: Camelio Estevez.

"Good Night, Elizabeth" by the Counting Crows and "9 to 5" by Dolly: Roxy. We listened to "9 to 5" on repeat until we knew all the words just before we had a pineapple explosion. zing!

John Mayer: Lizer

"3 A.M." by Matchbox 20 and "How Will I Know?" by Whitney Houston: my cousin Lee because a. he sort of looks like Rob Thomas and b. I used to force him to make up routines when we were little and Lee was the "he" in "How will I know if he really loves me?"

Deana Carter, Did I Shave My Legs for This?: my Freshmen roommates. We even wrote Deana some fanmail about this CD.

Any Britney Spears, "Stuck on You" by Lionel Ritchie. "Gone" and "Up Against the Wall" by 'NSync: Carrie. Disco ball. Disco ball. Disco ball.

Well, I'm sure there are more that will come to me later, but right now I think I'll settle into my workday with a little "Sister Golden Hair"-- which I will dedicate to myself.

19 comments:

kacy faulconer said...

I'm so flattered that REM makes you think of me. They are from Georgia, you know--and my mom's name is Georgia. I like The Promise too. I also like Electric Blue by Icehouse.

kacy faulconer said...

I just bought Electric Blue (dance re-mix)by Icehouse, Candy by Iggy Pop (with a surprise cameo by B52's Kate Pierson), and A Campfire Song by Natalie Merchant (with a surprise cameo by our sexiest non-heterosexual Michael Stipe)on ITunes and I dedicate them all to you. Please give a listen--you will love.

kacy faulconer said...

Unfortunately, When In Rome's The Promise is not available--that was a very unsavvy business decision on their part.

Melissa said...

Kacy: After your comment, I went to iTunes to check out Electric Blue but saw that there was only the dance re-mix. But since you bought it, I will, too. Thanks for the dedications. iTunes is about to get $2.98 from me.

Melissa said...

Kacy: The Promise will be on it's way to your e-mail momentarily.

Melissa said...

you bet, Pickles. I should have included that I think of you when I hear Meatloaf. ;)

Eliza said...

M, I’m pleased and delighted to be part of your music post. John Mayer doesn’t have much “cred,” but I still think he’s really good. I used to be rather obsessed and even had a John Mayer blog. The JM blog still exists, actually--just nobody posts on it anymore.

Neil said...

I'm glad at least one '80s classic reminds you of me. Because I'm Totally '80s.

Also, wow--everyone loves The Promise. Who knew?

Melissa said...

Lizer: Oh, I have seen your John Mayer blog. Yeah, you're right about his lack of "cred" but I really like "City Love."

Neil: Of course everyone loves "The Promise!" I also should have mentioned in your list: "The Final Countdown" by Europe. After all, it is your theme song.

Eliza said...

I'm sorry you had to see that.

Carly said...

I am flattered that Break Down makes you think of me. But I am a little hurt that I am not more closely associated with Stevie Nix in your memory. I worked so hard cultivating a Stevie Nixesque style when we were living together. I guess I'll have to break out the long flowy dresses again.

Melissa said...

Cletis: Mi dis. It was too hard to do a complete list...Stevie and Debbie both remind me of you. They are you. You are them.

Carly said...

I gotta say, the Promise reminds of me of someone who conjurs unpleasant memories...memories of acapella boys groups and see-through glow-in-the-ark shoes.

Melissa said...

Heidi: Did you see "Just Like Heaven" with Reese Witherspoon? How many remakes of THAT song could they put in that movie? Geez.

Cletis: ITL and I can't stop.

Carly said...

oops, that's glow in the DARK, not the ark.

Melissa said...

I forgot about those glow in the ark/dark shoes...As a matter of fact I thought they were just clear. Ahhh, thanks for the memories.

kacy faulconer said...

And kudos to skewedview for loving REM. I have a constant craving for Constant Craving.

Eliza said...

Re: Deana: you and my sister would have gotten along great. She and her freshman roommates were obsessed with that CD too. Did you live in Helaman at BYU? Hey maybe you KNEW HER! "We Danced Anyway"...still one of my faves.

Melissa said...

Skewedview: Maybe I will listen to K.D. right now...Also, another memory I should have added was "We Can Work It Out" by the Beatles....remember when we used to play bridge all the time? "Life is very short and there's no ti-i-i-i-ime for fussing and fighting, my friend..."

Lizer: I lived in Heritage, but that would have been cool if I had known her. But it is cool enough for me that you and I both worked in Rosslyn at the same time (if only we had known each other then...not that we technically know each other now, but you know what I mean).