Monday, October 31, 2005

Trick or Treat

Right now I'm shakin' my booty to KC and the Sunshine Band's "Shake Your Booty" while wearing this shirt. It's sort of like in The Hours when Virginia Woolf is writing Mrs. Dalloway, Laura is reading it and Clarissa is living it. Only I won't feel like I want to kill myself after I'm done.

So, Happy Halloween! I haven't really felt like it's Halloween yet because I have done nothing to make me think otherwise. Wearing my Halloween t-shirt I bought at Target last year has been the extent of it. I didn't carve a pumpkin. I didn't put spiderwebs on the front porch. I didn't put out my Halloween tablecloth or Frankenstein candleabra. I didn't go to the ward Halloween party where, last year, I bobbed for apples in a giant rubbermaid bin then walked around the rest of the night looking like a wet dog. I didn't drive for over an hour to the regional church barn dance which is always advertised as having a hayride but never does. I did see The Legend of Zorro which could qualify as scary. So maybe that counts.

Despite my less than festive weekend I did have a good time, with the exception of the time I spent crying over a box of chicken in the Popeye's parking lot. But we all have our moments, right?

I saw Elizabethtown and it was different, but I liked it. Actually, maybe I was just in a euphoric state from the popcorn I was eating. Now I am nowhere near the movie popcorn connossieur that Carly, who has gone into a theater, explained to the ticket taker that she is just there to get some popcorn, bought some and then left without ever seeing a movie, is. But I did finally live out our mutual dream since our discovery of the self service butter dispensers and that is: I took a separate bag so I could dump my popcorn into it, then pour it back into the real popcorn bag a little at a time while dispensing the butter allowing equal delicious distribution throughout. Sure I made a mess, but I have some ideas for how to do it better next time. And sure I got laughed at, but I think those peeps were just jealous of my ingenuity and yummy buttery popcorn.

What I will say about Elizabethtown is 1) it was odd but pleasing, 2) I really don't know what all the Orlando hype is about, and 3) it had great music including "Big Love" by Fleetwood Mac, which is one of my favorites and is, I think, far too unappreciated.

So after this weekend, my advice for you would be:

1. The Legend of Zorro: don't see it.
2. Elizabethtown: see it or don't. I don't really care. I liked it but can appreciate the fact that a lot of people probably wouldn't.
3. If sugar starts to smell like it's burning, even though it's not boiling and the recipe says wait until it boils, just go ahead and start over and don't keep adding ingredients you will eventually have to throw out.
4. If you need a snack during church, don't bring a whole green apple to chomp on.
5. Personal journals with juicy info: Don't bring them to stake conference, sit on the row in front of me, then place them on the empty chair directly in front of me where I might accidentally read something you don't want shared.

13 comments:

Neil said...

I know I've told you (Marcy) this story before, but for the benefit of your many readers--one time I saw a woman eat a salad during sacrament meeting. With a fork. I don't care that she was pregnant, that was legendary bad manners. I will never stop talking about it.

Your Halloween prep sounds like mine. I have exactly three mini Midnight Milky Ways on hand for trick-or-treaters, if any stop by.

Melissa said...

Neil, that story is definitely worth repeating. Please turn away all trick-or-treaters and save those three bite size Milky Way Midnights for me.

Carly said...

I am so jealous of your popcorn escapade. Next time I go to a movie, I'm bringing me an extra bag. I want that shirt, too.

kacy faulconer said...

Listening to Big Love right now. Halloween is my favorite. I have probably spent 300 dollars on decorations, costumes, and various favors. Don't worry--I spend nothing at Thanksgiving because I rely on other people to feed me.

Melissa said...

Carly: When I started to get embarrassed by the mockers, I just thought, "Cletis, this is for you." But before you try it, talk to me b/c I have a few pointers to give you on the popcorn re-pour.

Kacy: Glad you're listening to Big Love. Plus it's adjacent to Bleed to Love Her. A winning combination. Please post a pic of your corpse temple bride.

Anonymous said...

As I sit here reading your blog in my Pocahontas costume I am wondering what ever happend to the girl who would spend $50 at a costume shop just to have a cool Halloween costum. I am ashamed, just a halloween t-shirt? You better be making up for this with a really cool costume for tonight. I would suggest the bride of frankenstien. I was that last year and it was a huge hit. That is all I have to say for now.

Eliza said...

A. I'm glad you wrote about Elizabethtown. I saw it and "liked it for what it was" (my standard response when it comes up in conversation, which it has a few times). My sister calls it Garden State II, which is a valid point, but whatever. I like Cameron Crowe. I love Kirsten Dunst. And I have no clue about Orlando's appeal either. The dancing in the forest scene...awkward...although his crying scene in the car almost made me cry (in a good way).

There was some good music...but a little too much, don't you think? I wish Cam weren't such a music slut.

2. I ate a mini NutRageous in sacrament meeting yesterday. Not only that, but I shared several mini NutRageouses with the other people in my row.

D. Bleed to Love Her is one of my favorite songs. Also, I like your shirt. Happy Halloween.

Melissa said...

L.Lipnicky: Those were good times. I should be ashamed of myself and my lack of Halloween spirit. I will do better next time. Although I have to say that I am ashamed when I look at pics of myself in that $50 costume..really...what was I thinking? Our flapper costumes were WAY better.

Lizer: I'm glad you love Kirsten Dunst. I love her, too and sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. It seems everyone else thinks she is annoying/obnoxious--which I can definitely see, but I continue to love her anyway. There's just something about her that I like, but I can't quite pinpoint it.

The forest scene WAS dumb. ugh. And while the road trip part was cheesey, I still really liked it. I think the deal with Orlando is: A. I can see how peeps might consider him charming, but 2. could you really ever call someone "Orlando"? and C. I think of him as pretty in a womanly way, so he's not on the attractive, manly charts in my book.

And I applaud you on the Nutrageous snacks. I just found the apple thing a little shocking, but that doesn't mean I oppose church snacking....far from it. There are people in my ward who know to come to me and my candy filled purse if they need a pick me up during church.

kacy faulconer said...

I take your remarks about Orlando's looks as a compliment. Thank you. I am one of those people who finds Kirsten Dunst annoying/obnoxious so if you could better articulate what it is that you like about her I would be interested.

Melissa said...

Kacy: You're welcome. I meant it as a compliment.
Now on to Kirsten. I have to say my regard for her is basically superficial, because she can definitely be obnoxious. I think she is cute in a "sometimes I look kind of bad" way that I like. She is just one of those people that I see and have an inexplainable connection with. Liv Tyler, too. Also I really liked her with Jake Gyllenhaal--who, in my opinion, is the manly, handsome version of Tobey Maguire/Peter Parker (although that is going down the tubes the more I see these Brokeback Mountain previews).

Heidi: I know you love Orlando. But before that you loved Leonardo. So you obviously have a thing for the thin, pretty men who have strange names ending in o. We must have different taste. What say you of Vince Vaughn?

Eliza said...

Ah, Kirsten. She can be very obnoxious (as exhibited in behaviors such as “fake” picture taking). But I don’t know, there’s something appealing about her. Maybe it's her hair, which also sometimes looks bad but always works. Plus she’s been in approximately 1 zillion movies, which gets my respect (although a high percentage of said movies are pretty bad).

I didn’t mean to flaunt my blatant disregard for sac. mtg. decorum...it was more of a confession. I agree that apples and salad (or anything loud, glaring, visible, prone to spill, or eaten with a fork) are completely inappropriate during sacrament meeting. Even mini candy bars are, actually, I guess…but I can’t help it. I tell myself it’s because of low blood sugar. Which it is, actually, but I am an adult...

Does it make it OK to eat during sac. when you have kids? Somehow I don’t think so, yet I look forward to that privilege anyway.

I don’t know why I’m so concerned about it being OK, since I do it anyway.

Carly said...

I have to chime in here on the Orlando/Leonardo/Vince Vaughn thing: I LOVE Vince Vaughn. That is all....

Melissa said...

Heidi: Understood. I'm just glad everyone is in line with Vince Vaughn.