Monday, October 10, 2005

Clean Sweep

I had a traumatic Saturday. While doing my summer clothes/winter clothes closet switchout, I had my bi-annual "I'm a materialistic sinner" feelings. This time I decided that I needed to rid of some things (which Carly has really been pushing me to do for awhile).

Normally I like to get things weeded out and trimmed down, but with my clothes it is a different story. I feel like I need a lot of options and what if, for example, I were to buy a skirt later and I'd already gotten rid of a shirt that would have gone perfectly with it, just because I didn't have anything to go with it at the time?? These hypothetical outfits rule my emotions when it comes to getting rid of my clothes. Anyway, I was all worked up and having a hard time, but still making some serious headway through the Rubbermaid bins piled high in my room. I started a Goodwill pile and an Undecided pile. If I hadn't worn something in a long time, I tried it on. This proved to be even more upsetting...all the trying on and staring at yourself all day in the mirror.

Ultimately, the deciding factor became: tears welling up in my eyes while trying on an item = Goodwill pile.

At least 6 hours into this process of moving bins from the basement to the second floor, going through all of them, folding, hanging, trying on, crying, re-organizing closet, etc...I was proud of myself for moving the entire "Undecided" pile into the Goodwill pile with the exception of one pair of shoes I decided to keep (but I did buy them in London, even if they do look like grandma shoes).

I'm sure you will be truly amazed, and warranted in your judgment of me, when I tell you that my closet is still busting at the seams even after donating the following EIGHTY-ONE ITEMS to Goodwill:

1 apron
1 hat
1 dress
1 fleece pullover
1 dress coat
1 leather jacket
1 pair of shorts
1 pair of Grandma pajamas
2 skirts
3 pairs of jeans
3 fleece vests
5 sweaters
7 pairs of capris
8 pairs of slacks
8 pairs of shoes
37 shirts/blouses.

I hoped that after a good night's rest, the whole thing would pass and I would feel great that I had gotten rid of so much stuff. And I did!

And I hoped that Sunday being Fast Sunday would help me to feel a little thinner and better about myself after the disturbing hours of trying on clothes and staring at myself in the mirror on Saturday. And it did!

Well, at least until I didn't care about how I looked anymore when I was totally humiliated in Sunday School. It was 5:00p.m. (yes, I have church from 3-6) and my stomach growled SO LOUDLY that everyone within a 3 person/row radius turned around to look at me. People were laughing. Shoulders were shaking. But the worst was when a stranger across the aisle and a few rows forward turned back to look at me while tapping his ear and mouthed the words, "I heard that. WOW!"

11 comments:

Carly said...

A growling stomach is a thinner stomach--that's what Mary Kate Olsen tells me, anyway.

Neil said...

Peeps be rude sometimes, yo. Especially Colonial Ward peeps.

I am so very proud of you for going through with this. I hope it will be the case that you'll forget about all the clothes you donated within a week or two. That's my prediction anyway.

I still can't believe you even own 37 shirts. :-) I need to count mine up for comparision.

Suzie Petunia said...

37 shirts! Wow! I hope you got a receipt for tax deductions!

I am trying to think if I even own that many shirts. Do t-shirst count?

Anonymous said...

Get rid of stuff as you go along!! If you don't, you will end up like my mother-in-law who was an empty nester in a 7000 square foot house that was absolutely overflowing with everything she ever owned. Thirty-five closets, brimming with STUFF--every pair of shoes her long-gone children ever wore, his dead mother's owl figurine collection--too much craziness. Happy, er, middle to that story, though. They're on a mission and before they left they sold the house and therefore had to unearth all the crap and all the treasures buried. Can you say Holy DI donation! I think it was very difficult at first and then rather liberating to free herself. Anyway, don't do that. Minimalism, darling.

BTW, I attended Colonial Ward once when I was 20. It was frightening and intimidating. Not frightening to be there, just frightening how intense the girls in Relief Society were. Oh, and they were recruiting ward members to be temple workers in the middle of the night, to keep the temple open around the clock. What a bunch of overachievers.

Carrie Ann said...

When I need a clean sweep I call Kacy, because I can't do it alone. You are a brave, brave woman.

The other night, I gave two garbage bags of stuff I hadn't taken to DI yet to my class of Mia Maid girls. They'll take anything...and I mean ANYTHING.

Melissa said...

Carly: Thanks for the support. MKO knows what she is talking about fo shizzle.

Neil: I'll be waiting for your total. I have already forgotten what I donated and I haven't even dropped it off yet!

Skewedview: I would happily play Stacy and Clinton to the girls next time I am home. :)

Suzie P: Yes, I actually haven't taken the stuff to Goodwill yet. It's all in my trunk and I'm planning on dropping it off tonight. I should DEF. get a receipt.

Emily: Oh I agree on keeping things trimmed down, clothes is the only hard part for me...but I'm working on it.

Carrie Ann: I bet those Mia Maids LOVED your stuff. I would love your stuff! I was talking to Carly this weekend and she said she wished I could give her mine, and I just told her someday if I ever have a dig. camera I will just have to post photos for her to claim what she wants before I drop it off.

kacy faulconer said...

This makes me feel better just reading it. I wish I had been there. 37 shirts? We need to talk.

Melissa said...

Kacy, talk to me.

I wish you had been there, too.

Eliza said...

I too am amazed at the 37 shirts. How many shirts do you have left, is the question? The other question is, how long did you own some of these shirts before tossing them?

I still have some clothes from high school, not because they fit me or because I wear them, but because I like the way they look hanging in my closet. The colors and whatnot.

I'm just saying.

Eliza said...

BTW, I came here to see if I could win the song of the day...but alas, no song yet. Oh well.

Melissa said...

Lizer: I should count what's left, but then I would just feel even worse. Sorry about the NTS delay. I just got home. Hope you had a great trip!