Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Few Kooks

My birthday cards from my grandmother and mom, respectively.


























My mom's tradition is to get a card with people or animals she can label as us. It just cracks me that she circled her stomach, too.

I met another kooky lady last week. I was at a luncheon for work where I was seated at the senior citizen table. A woman wearing an orange sweater, an orange jacket and a large orange crocheted hat approached me and said, "I wanted to give you a copy of the Constitution. Actually, it's a citizen's handbook. There is an error at the bottom of page 15. Would you please turn there?" So I did. But then instead of telling me what the mistake was, she asked me to find it. Luckily I happened to know that Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death" speech was in a church in Richmond and not in the House of Burgesses in Williamsburg.

Edith then went back to her side of the table where she said something I couldn't hear to her husband. He then said, "If you tell me to bring a teabag when I'm in the shower, I won't hear you." She then asked him, "If you didn't hear me, why are you looking in your pockets??" He just shook his head and said he didn't know. Edith then picked up her trunklike purse and started removing the contents and putting them on the table as we all ate and watched. After she had made a large pile which included a really big, gold belt and 3 pairs of eyeglasses, she declared, "Well, no teabags in here!"

And I talked to some real kooks last night who were camping out in the rain at Target for the new XBox today. And I thought I was crazy.

4 comments:

Neil said...

I love how your grandma wanted that card back. I bet she's doing a painting, a la "The Chopper," in which your face will be super-imposed on that mermaid. You heard it here first!

Melissa said...

If only I could be so lucky. Roxy thinks she will paint the mermaid with her own face on it. Either would be awesome frankly.

Carly said...

I wish my mom sent me labeled cards. All she sends me are twenty dollar bills labeled according to how I should use them: "for more kits kats," "milano cookie fund," etc. Actually, it's not that bad.

Emily said...

So, how did you score with getting the card back? I thought it was long since sent back to your grandma.

I love sharing How Strange Are Your Relatives stories. I've got a boatload of my own.