Thursday, November 10, 2005

TVLand

From October 27th through November 6th, we had houseguests who were sick. So I wasn't really surprised when 2 days ago I started getting a sore throat. Around lunchtime when I started going downhill and feeling feverish, I headed home. After I had been on the couch for 30 minutes, my roommate walked in. She was sick, too. We took our places on our couches and turned on the TV. There really isn't a lot on TV these days and I figure when you are sick and on the couch for 1.5 days, you are willing to watch about anything...Sort of like how it is exciting to watch any video in school because it's not class. Case in point: Stand and Deliver.

Here's a list of what I have been doing for the last day and a half while at home:

Tuesday:
1:00pm: In America
3:00-5:00pm: nap
5:00pm: While You Were Out
6:00pm: Martha
7:30pm: Jeopardy!
8:00pm: Gilmore Girls
9:00pm: Commander-in-Chief
10:00pm: Whose Wedding is it Anyway? (where we watched an entire episode of planning a wedding that we never got to see because they called it off...why did they air this episode?)
11:00pm: Will and Grace
11:30pm: flipped between 2 episodes of Will and Grace on different channels
12:00pm: Will and Grace
12:30pm: Will and Grace

Wednesday (after being woken up by a call from the office at 12:15pm):

1:30pm: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
3:30pm: What Dreams May Come
5:45pm: nap
6:45pm: last 15 mins of Martha
7:00pm: Friends
7:30pm: Jeopardy!
8:00pm: Silence of the Lambs

Carly loves Martha because she is a go-getter. I hate her because she is rude. At least we love/hate her for different reasons. Here's what I got out of my Martha sick time:

After waiting 45 minutes to learn Martha's secret to making perfect rice that doesn't break or stick together...she told us to put the rice in a rice cooker and add water. Or if you just have to use the old fashioned way, then bring water to a boil, add rice & salt, cover. Thanks for the big secret, Martha.

Martha was rude to Joan Cusack and wouldn't let her talk. She talked over all her comments and told Joan that she obviously wasn't getting her kids involved in her cooking properly. She also made comments to her like, "Kids LOVE it when the chicken is a nice color like this" and "Just make sure your kid who is a picky eater is only allowed to eat squid in Sicily. He will LOVE it." What?

And Martha's advice to her studio audience:

When asked by a man who was about to purchase a horse whether she recommended a mare, a stallion or a gelding: "A mare or a stallion or a gelding would be great."

When asked what to do about cookies that kept burning on the bottom: "Turn the oven down."

When asked how to press fall leaves without them getting brittle: "Put them in a book."

She also laughed when a man said his kitchen had burned down. She simply explained that she laughs during tragedy...when her daughter broke her arm, she laughed. When someone else broke his leg, she laughed. she can't help it!

At least it was worth the fever to be able to catch up on all this useful information from Martha!

10 comments:

Carly said...

You must have been delirious if Martha's dry wit and charm were lost on you. OK! I know she is rude. But so is Donald Trump and evabody LOVES him. Double standard.....

I love that you watched "What Dreams May Come." It must have been in honor of our first date, no?

Melissa said...

I was only delirious when I got the potatoes au gratin at Boston Market during my sick days. I know you know she is rude. And I know Donald is rude. Rudeness is precisely why I watch both of their shows.

WDMC was def in honor of our first date.

Carly said...

Potatoes au gratin????
Cletis, NO!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Well they looked yummy and contained cheese & bacon. But they weren't. At least not as yummy as giant pancakes.

BTW Neil wants to know your opinion of white cheddar. Do you hate yellow cheeses b/c of the color or taste?

Carly said...

I'm SO glad you/Neil asked. I have never eaten white cheddar, but I have to say that it's less color, more flavor for me when it comes to cheddar cheese. So I probably wouldn't like it. But I would TRY it...for the price of 1 million dollars.

Melissa said...

Fascinating. I will let Neil know. And by let Neil know, I mean let him read it here for himself and then discuss it at length with him later.

Katie_Blue said...

I also hate Martha, though I share her unfortanate trait of laughing at awkward moments. I hate her for her rudeness, but I also hate her a little bit because the Cybil Shepard movies.

Cameron H said...

Just one comment,
Maybe Carly and Marcy can either just get married, or call each other a little more often. I recommend Vonage, its free long distance.
I can not believe you watched What Dreams May Come. That falls in my Top 5 worst movies of all time. And there are days that it Takes the top spot.

Get well, get well soon, we hope you get well soon.

Neil said...

I heard Martha Stewart on a Fresh Air interview say that she doesn't understand why people make fun of her because she's just trying to teach them the right way to do things. And, she said, she was raised not to ever make fun of or disagree with her teachers.

Which is to say, I'm not a huge fan, although I agree with Carly that there is a double standard.

Oh, and thanks for clearing up the cheese question for me, C. Hating the taste, not the color per se, is rational. I can respect that.

Eliza said...

I'm also not a fan of Martha in all her go-getterness. Although she does have a way with crafty stuff. Martha Stewart Living--I will never get there, but I can enjoy the pictures.