Monday, March 07, 2005

How Can I Get in Great Shape by Saturday?

Highlights from my first basketball game in over 5 years:

1. Red Pants. This was my name on the court--given to me by the refs and the other team. "I'll guard red pants." "Watch out for red pants behind you." "Foul on red pants." "Foul #2 on red pants." "Foul #3 on red pants."...

2. Our team had never practiced together. Most of us hadn't played basketball in years, the rest had never played.

3. We played a team that plays together 3 times a week. They also have a college basketball player on their team.

4. We lost by 40 points.

5. I was so wasted after the 1st quarter, I almost threw up in the garbage can by the water fountain.

6. Since we had never practiced, the 15 minutes we had before the game was spent explaining the rules, positions, etc to those who had never played before.

7. We had a quick contest to see who could jump the highest on our team. I won and ran out to jump in the tip off. There I was standing in the center of the circle waiting to jump when they started the prayer. Because I hadn't been paying attention to everyone gathering around the circle for the prayer while I stood in the middle waiting to jump, I ended up standing with the other team for the prayer.

8. After the game, I couldn't talk or stop coughing like an old man. Apparently, playing really hard in a game after all these years gave me an immediate chest cold, which has yet to go away.

9. After having 3 fouls called on me in the first quarter, I took it down a notch and didn't get any for the rest of the game.

10. I did take the college basketball player to the floor over a rebound...luckily it was our turn for jumpball posession.

Lessons Learned:
Paula Abdul's Get Up and Dance Workout may not really work you out after all. I seriously knew I wasn't in good shape, but after Saturday (and the pain I am still in), I would say I'm in about 10-times-worse shape than I thought I was.

You can still have fun, even when it hurts and even when you lose by 40 points.

Question:
The excruciating pain that I inevitably face for all of our games on every Saturday for the next few weeks scares me to death...so how do you think I can get in great shape by Saturday?

5 comments:

Alicia said...

My first thought on "How Can I get in great shape by Saturday?", was to do #5 about 12 times, but that won't get you in great shape, and it will make your teeth nasty. Don't got nothing else. However, I would like to be in great shape by Saturday as well. We'll see how that goes.

Suzie Petunia said...

The last time I played basketball was circa 1993: church ball. Someone threw the ball at my face. I threw the ball at the ground, stormed out of the gym and never ever returned. I hate contact sports. I ran track and cross country for 4 years in high school. The only way I know how to get in shape is to RUN! Not a bad suggestion, actually... Good luck!

Carly said...

Two words: plastic wrap. 'nuff said.

Carrie Ann said...

This post struck a chord of fear in to my heart. I would just not show up...ever again. But, man! am I impressed with your ability to push yourself! Vomiting? Exercise induced asthma? I would have benched myself at breathing hard...

Christian F said...

Great post Red Pants.