Monday, October 25, 2004

Strange Conversations

1.) Everyday when I get on the elevator to go home, it stops on the 8th floor, where a few girls who work at the "Feminist Majority" get on (They are unmistakeable because they all have all these pink pins all over their purses that say "The Feminist Majority"). I like to eavesdrop on their conversations, which is perfectly acceptable since we ARE in an elevator.
Anyway, the other day this was the conversation I heard:

Feminist #1: My dad's hero is Fidel Castro.
Feminist #2: Really?
Feminist #2: Yeah, I mean, he could really do better on a few social issues, but other than that we think he is a great leader.



2.)On Fridays, I volunteer at the Washington temple. Because it is during the day when most people my age are at work, I am the only person under 65 on my shift. This is nice because I get a lot of special attention and everyone thinks I'm lovely. This past Friday, I had this conversation in the locker room:

Sister McQuivey: How long does it take you to get home?
Me: Oh, depends on traffic, usually about an hour.
Sister McQ: Oh! Well let me help you! I have learned a trick to getting ahead of the traffic on the Beltway.
Me: Oh really? what is it?
Sister McQ: Well, I get off on every exit I can and then get right back on to the Beltway ahead of a lot of people who were in front of me. I take a 94 year old lady home and everytime she just shakes her head and says "I can't believe we do this every week. Are you sure it is legal?"

Then she laughed and was hunting for a piece of paper to draw a map on of how I can get off at each exit and get back on a little further up the road. She drew a diagram for me and commented "you might get a few honks, but don't worry about it."

Anyway, I thought this was odd that this woman would be giving me, an intelligent 25 year old, aggressive-driving tips. And I laughed at the thought of people honking at these 2 little ladies exiting and merging, exiting and merging. And maybe you have to know Sis. McQ to even find this funny at all.

But on the way home, I tried her trick and cut off over 15 minutes of travel time, by sneaking ahead in the stop and go, rush hour traffic. Of course, it is probably people like me who are constantly exiting and merging who are causing the stop and go traffic in the first place.

Hmm, there was a 3rd convo that I can't really remember now, but if I think of it later, maybe I'll post it.





No comments: