Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Civility and Productivity

Update: Well, my stakeout last night was foiled by 1) serious rain, 2)a friend called at the last minute and wanted a ride (and not a good enough friend to say, "you go on in, I need to stay out here and wait for a fake arrival time" and 3) the absence of HB.

I don't like to do anything unless I can cross it off a list. Doesn't it make you feel good and accomplished when you can cross things off? Once I was making my bed, actually stopped to go over to a list and write "make bed" just so that I could cross it off when I was done.

Today I need to: 1. go to Enrichment and learn about financial planning 2. straighten up the house 3. call my dad (or send e-card) b/c today is his bday 4.watch game 7 with the Yankees/Red Sox so I will feel cool.
I will stop boring you with my list and start writing it on a post-it note to stick on my desk for crossing off purposes. Sometimes I relate my job productivity with the number of post-it notes on my desk with crossed off things on them. (# of post-its currently on my desk: 19 good. going to have v. productive day today.)

So, at institute we have 4 classes and then afterwards there is a huge "Munch and Mingle" in the gym. I have fooled myself into believing that if I were a little more approachable and not always in a pack of my friends, guys would actually come over to meet me and ask me out. Sadly enough, believing this does actually make me feel better. So for the last several weeks some friends and I have been doing an experiment. We go in to the M&M, talk to some friends, and then force myself to go stand alone in the crowd for at least 2 minutes.

# of times I have done this: about 6
# of times a guy has come to talk to me: 1
# of times that guy has asked me out: 0
# of times a girl has come to talk to me: 2
# of times someone has said "I saw you standing all alone so I thought I'd come talk to you" : 1

I'm wondering if I'm only alienating myself by blogging. Should I be revealing this munch & mingle experiment and my stake-out plans? I don't know, but it's who I am. Maybe that's the problem. Somehow, though, it makes me feel like Bridget Jones and there has to be another Colin Firth out there somewhere.


2 comments:

Carly said...

# of times Carly laughed at this blog: 10

kacy faulconer said...

I guess you just have to decide, "Do I want people to respect me or read my blog?" I think the choice is clear.