Monday, April 04, 2005

Let the Good Times Roll

Saturday after watching conference and sitting in Chipotle with Shotzy's brother for 2 hours of fascinating conversation regarding the Papal succession, killing a turkey by stirring its brains and why you should only buy a rabbit with the ears still on it in a meat market...and other delightsome topics, Shotzy, Wayne and I were looking for something fun to do. We decided everyone would say something right then and we all had to go and do all three things. I wanted to get some frozen custard, Wayne wanted to go to the Iwo Jima Memorial and Shotzy wanted to do some sort of scavenger hunt. We decided to head to Target---we each drew one of the other's names and had 20 minutes to find a specialized gift for $5 or less for that person and meet back at the door.

Wayne gave me an iTunes giftcard. You have no idea how excited I was, even though I own neither an iPod nor a computer. She got it for me so I could download "Let Your Love Flow" by the Bellamy Brothers, because I had heard it in the car on the way home from the movies Friday night and I got excited. Then Saturday, it came on the radio again on a completely different radio station. I mean, what are the chances?

We traded gifts, got some custard and then headed over to Iwo Jima in the rain. I happened to be wearing a jacket, formerly owned by Carly's father, that said England on it. After unsuccessfully taking a few pictures of ourselves, in my best British accent, I asked a nearby girl if she would take our picture. I don't know if the fact that she didn't understand me and just stared blankly and said, "What?" means I did a good or bad accent. I tried to repeat myself but by that point I was laughing a little and Wayne and Shotzy had already walked away (with the cameras) to hide their laughter.

She took our picture and we headed home to take more pictures and download iTunes. The saddest moment was when we realized that "Let Your Love Flow" was not available on iTunes---unless you wanted the Joan Baez version, which I did not. After the three of us sat around until about 2:30 a.m. (3:30 daylight time) previewing hundreds of songs...we finally made our first and only selection of the night for purchase: "Black or White" by Michael Jackson. After hours of listening and pondering, the only song we bought was in support of a child molester. But really, you may have forgotten just how good that song was. I know I had. I also learned that I have been singing 75% of the lyrics to it incorrectly for years.

AND, believe it or nor, I heard "Let Your Love Flow" AGAIN on the radio yesterday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are going to support the child molester you may as well get "man in the mirror" as well. That song is excellent!

Melissa said...

Yes, I do love the OLD MJ best...Billie Jean, The Way You Make Me Feel, Beat It, and on and on. But I already have a lot of those songs. And Black or White is a really really good one that I had forgotten about. And yes, Anonymous, we did also preview Man in the Mirror and sing along for 30 seconds, but it can't hold a candle to Black or White.