Thursday, April 14, 2005

Girl with a Red Leather Jacket

You may recognize this:


a.) because it is (supposed to be) me

or

b.) because it is copied from a Virginia Slims magazine ad.

Yes, it's true, my grandmother (the artist) saw a cigarette ad in a magazine, ripped it out and decided it would be a perfect setting for a painting of me. Apparently she thinks I'm a biker babe. So she painted the ad, adding my face and omitting the cigarette in my hand and, voila, my own portrait.

My questions are as follows:

1. Why me and not my sister Jenny (who really does smoke)?
2. That background...Why?
3. Do you think someday this painting is going to be in my possession? And what will I do with it then?

Seriously, I am flattered that she would do a painting of me. I think it is sweet. But no one can say it's not funny.

6 comments:

Carly said...

But the bike is so *you* don't you think? When HAVEN'T you owned and ridden a motorcycle?

kacy faulconer said...

NO ONE CAN SAY IT'S NOT FUNNY. I've been toying with this idea for a while and I think I have finally decided to quit blogging myself and just read yours full-time--memorizing it, quoting it, commenting on it. I think it would be time well spent. Today's portrait sealed the deal.

Anonymous said...

I love it so much. Thanks for making my day. Your grandma is a great artist. I really do think it looks like you. Is this a recent work of hers? Or have you been keeping it from us? Maybe your grandmother knows something you don't.

Alicia said...

Incredible. Wow. I wish my grandma would paint a picture of me on bike. . .

Carrie Ann said...

I was speechless for the first day or so after seeing this post. I couldn't tell which emotion was stronger: jealousy that your potrait was painted so....cool-ly or that you grandma has much mad skilz. I just wish I could see this picture blown up big so that I could download it and print it out at Kinkos and have it framed and put in my living room/art gallery...

Suzie Petunia said...

Sweet!

Carrie Ann asked me to be a live model for the figure painting group she painted with once a week. (I got paid and everything - just for sitting still for 3 hours.) One guy in particular was an amazing portraitist (portraiter? portrait painter? you'd think I know, with my degree in art ed. and all...) Anyway...his painting was so great, my parents bought it from him, framed it very nicely, and my likeness now hangs in their bedroom. (oooh...I'd never really thought about being in their bedroom like that _all_the_time_...) I wish I could say I was wearing something as cool as a red leather jacket, sitting on a motorcycle. In the portrait I am dressed in a circa 1776 costume, complete with white old-timey frilly hat. It's a lovely costume and all (Carrie Ann made it with her own 2 hands!), but SO not cool. It will most likely be the portrait to be passed down for all of my posterity to see.

Sorry so long...