Wednesday, August 31, 2005

And All the Sunshine Banishes the Dark

Have you seen So You Think You Can Dance? Somehow a couple of weeks ago I watched it because I was bored and lazy and there wasn't anything else on. Well, I developed some really strong feelings about one of the dancers: Snow. I wanted her eliminated. First I was telling anyone who would listen about how much I hated Snow..then the following week I found myself voting to keep her on. Go Snow!

Yes, I watched it again. And yes, I even voted the second time.

The show is comical at best and I've got a lot of bones to pick with it. I mean, I hate all the judges, the host, most of the dancers, and the format and length of the show. What do I like about it? Well, I like seeing them pair up a break dancer and a tap dancer and make them do the Mambo. And I get a good laugh over the elimination segment when everyone is crying...those eliminated, those not eliminated but who will miss them, as well as the crackpot judges.

It's one of those shows that's so bad it's good. Like Summerland. And I think I'll ride them both out, at least for the summer.

I'm sad to see the summer go. It's hard for me to say goodbye to the long days, the pool, the tan, the summer clothes...And so I've declared this week "All White All Week" so I can get one last use out of the things I won't be wearing after Labor Day. Actually, no one at work has said a word about my wardrobe choices this week. Maybe they think I'm just going to nursing school at night.

8 comments:

Eliza said...

UNCANNILY, I am listening to "Summertime" by the Sundays THIS VERY MOMENT, and right before I opened up your blog, I got to the line in the song "the sunshine banishes the dark" and thought, "I like that line." Then....well you know what happened next.

So uncanny.

Slightly less uncanny: I'm wearing white shoes today--white shoes which I don't even especially like--and the only reason I'm wearing them is that it's August 31st.

Although in philosophy, I don't really subscribe to the white after Labor Day thing. I say, I wear what I want, WHEN I want.

Amen to me.

Eliza said...

P.S. How can I get me one of them word verificationers? I was actually going to share with you my wisdom on combating comment spam, which is not much but I do have anti-Google codes in my template and my blog is not public, both of which seem to have kept the spammers away so far, but I am intrigued by this word verification and would like to jump on the wagon. Or off the wagon, whichever it is.

Melissa said...

Lizer: That IS uncanny.
I'm also wearing white shoes today. Well, white sandals. And really I think only 1% of white sandals are fashionable, but I think mine fit into that category (hopefully).

Word verication is under your settings on blogger...just go under the comments tab and there is a word verication you can turn on.

Carly said...

Dang. I am so behind on the times. I just got over the upsetting end to Dancing With the Stars and now there's a whole new show to watch.

Neil said...

Isn't the "Simon" character played by another British guy named Nigel? I think that's so funny, Simon and Nigel being the two perfect names for English prisses. Obviously the producers thought "American Idol has a Simon, so we'll get ourselves a Nigel!"

Carly said...

Next thing you know they'll have a questionably slutty former dancer named Lafawnda or Rita or Carla who once dated Arsenio Hall and tap danced with a cartoon cat in one of her videos.

Melissa said...

Yeah, then the next thing you know, Nigel & Lafawnda will be dating.

Anonymous said...

please tell me you saw the episode where that girl tap-danced to "holla-back". i have never laughed so hard in my life.
ck