Monday, August 22, 2005

The World is Collapsing Around Our Ears

I've heard complaints about commercial radio from a couple of people lately. And believe me, I totally understand where they are coming from. Commercial radio is doing us peeps wrong, fo shizzle. However, I would like to name a few reasons why I won't throw in the towel yet.

Kelly Clarkson: The radio is really the only chance I'm going to have to hear "Since You've Been Gone" since I don't really plan on buying her CD. I know. I know. iTunes. iPod. I'm just not ready for that yet. This song came on the radio on my trip a couple of weeks ago and I tried really hard to listen to it, even though I had to ignore my grandmother who was talking to me on the phone at the time.

Radio Contests: I have radio station phone numbers programmed into my cell phone. And a radio contest inspired my trip to the Dominican Republic last year (which I bought myself after I didn't win 3x a day for 2 weeks). But I have won: an REM Monster CD (which is missing), a Billy Myers CD (who?), and Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert tickets.

The Celebrity Scoop: Since Schatze's subscription to People ended and my MSN-Entertainment-article-reading time has almost diminished, the only link I have to Brangelina, Bennifer and TomKat is what I hear on my morning drive or read in grocery store checkout line. (Did anyone see that pic of Annette Funicello on the cover of the Globe??)

Revelation: One morning as I listened to the radio while getting ready for work, I believe I had a moment of inspired revelation which came to me through Roxette and the lyrics of "Listen to Your Heart."

Glen Hollis: After learning that Delilah wasn't broadcast around here, I turned to the local soft rock radio host who does love song dedications in the evenings. His show's motto: "Everything he touches turns to love."




And I ask you: how could it not?





Last week on his show, I heard not one, but two different dedications of "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams. When I heard the first one, I was alone in my car and said outloud, "Awesome." And on Wednesday, I sat in the grocery store parking lot, risking running out of gas, just so I could listen to "Lady" by Kenny Rogers. I mean, it doesn't really get better than that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcy I'm glad I was introduced to your blogg it not only lets me know what you've been up to it also lets me see the inner workings of your soul and that's really what I'm interested in. It may be a little scary but I like it.

Eliza said...

I agree about the radio, esp. late-night love dedication shows and Kelly Clarkson songs. Won't buy the CD. But I like knowing that I can turn on the radio and find "Behind These Hazel Eyes" on at least one station.

Plus I won free movie tickets for a year from a radio contest.

Carly said...

Since U Been Gone is, like, totally my song with Holden. We love to sing it in the car. I won't give up on commercial radio as long as Holden and I have some common ground.

Melissa said...

Lizer: Congrats on the movie tickets! I forgot to mention that I won passes to a sneak preview of "The Laws of Attraction" on the radio. So can you just go to any movie anytime for a year--or is it like one a week? or what is the deal? That is like my dream come true!

And I'm having a hard time getting into "Behind These Hazel Eyes." Not because I don't like it (I do), I just can't get past the "I really wish this were Since You've Been Gone" hurdle yet.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Be watching your mailbox Marcy---Everyone needs to have their own copy of Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway CD.

Melissa said...

Anonymous-You're the best! You bet I'll be watching my mailbox. You've got me thrilled and mystified.