Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Just Keep Your Eyes on My Backside

In the mornings, all things are trumped by the fact that I want to sleep longer---eating breakfast, allowing the proper time for getting ready, etc. And in the end, allowing the proper time for getting ready usually trumps leaving for work on time. Except for today--although I still didn't leave for work on time, I did not get ready properly either.

I strictly adhere to our casual dress policy at work. But I have learned the hard way that on Wednesdays, when my boss is stacked with regular meetings, I could be called on at a moment's notice to hop in a cab and accompany him or even go in his stead, and so I've learned to dress accordingly. Today I am thankful that I have been allowed to remain in my office because I only ironed the back of my dress this morning. I did think the back was the front when I ironed it and that the back (front) didn't look so bad and so I skipped it altogether in the interest of time. Not until the iron was unplugged and cooled and it was time for me to be at work, did I stand before the mirror and see that my dress was full of wrinkles. But on the bright side, I look great from behind.

I know I have a problem. I'm like a little kid when it comes to going to bed; I just don't want to. I don't want to miss out on any of the fun at night, or, as is more often the case, I'm postponing getting up the next day and heading back to the office. And this is a far cry from the days of yesteryear when Schatze and Roxy used to tease me because I would brush my teeth and wash my face during commercial breaks, all because I thought I needed to be asleep EXACTLY 8 hours before I had to get up. I was obsessed with this down to the minute and would start panicking when 11:03 came and I was wide awake and I knew my alarm would be going off at 7:01. I just don't know where I went wrong along the way.

Anyway, the thing about my problem that torments me the most is the fact that I just don't have time for cereal. I have confined myself to a life of on-the-go-breakfasts of cereal bars, bananas, yogurts, etc...when all I wish I had in my life was a little cereal. Yum. Now if I could just bring myself to stop getting back in my bed after my shower for a little nap, I would have plenty of time to fulfill this dream. And I might even look okay from the front every once in awhile.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning i tried to take a nap in the shower resulting in the hot water making me feel sick.

Carly said...

I have always thought you looked good from behind. And I'll never forget our nightly conversations during which I would fall asleep. You really are a night owl.

Neil said...

Too bad they don't have a foam doam for cereal. That would be perfect for you!

Carly said...

Maybe the foam doam would work for cream of wheat, but not something like frosted mini wheats or even cheerios. Marcy, you like cream of wheat?

Melissa said...

Cletis: I hope you said that in your Cream of Wheat man voice. (No.)

Carly said...

I DID say it in my Cream of Wheat Man Voice, but I didn't realize you KNEW about that voice...

Melissa said...

Neil: I'm going to take your idea into serious consideration--possibly some sort of modification could be made. I'll bet there is a wide open market for a product like this.

Perhaps they could be sold at your expensive gas station??? Roxy might even buy one just to put your fancy caramel sauce in.

Melissa said...

Carly: Your Cream of Wheat Man Voice is your best and my personal fave.

Neil said...

I envision a hat that has dry cereal on one side in a dispenser inspired by the bulk food chutes that you put bags under and then fill, and then the milk on the other side. So the two would meet in your mouth. I think I might be onto something here! I need a catchy name. Bran Beanie?

Melissa said...

Neil, now all you need is a Bran Beanie backer.

Eliza said...

Wow, I thought I was the only one who took “little naps” after my shower, or even during my shower, actually. Freshman year in college I received from my hallmates a suction cup terry cloth pillow made for, we all assumed, sleeping in the shower (although it turned out to be one of those bathtub neck pillow things).

I’ve also been known to fall asleep while saying my prayers in the morning—also directly after the shower—only to wake up 1-2 hours later with sore knees, numb legs, and weird towel-turban hair.

Melissa said...

Lizer, we are obviously cut from the same cloth. I have slept thru many a prayer---good thing we don't "lay prostrate on the ground" like some did in days of old. That could be REAL trouble for us.

A pillow for the shower sounds like a good idea to me.

Star said...

My sister told me of a friend who every once in a while fell asleep at work, laying prostrate on her desk. As soon as someone walked in and attempted to wake her, she would say "Amen," and raise her head. I've never tried it, but that could work. . .

Anonymous said...

just eat your cereal in the car like me... it is not as hard as it seems. you jsut have to have a clear bowl so when you are drinking the sugary milk you can see through the bowl to the traffic in front of you.
ck