Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Hair: An Important Topic

Before my former hairdresser Lyla moved to San Diego, I went to her faithfully and she always did a great job. We even discussed my hair icon Gwyneth Paltrow together. Now, I'm in no way disillusioned into thinking that I look like her. At all. Let's face it, when you, even jokingly, have been called boyface and then later in life, manface, it's impossible to see yourself in any Gwyneth way. And I have been told I look like my dad and my maternal grandfather--who are nice-looking, but MEN. Not unlike Gwyneth in Shakespeare in Love:



Anyway, what I will say about her is that we have the same hair type. We both have a lot of thin blonde hair. And thank goodness we have a lot, since it is thin (but I AM thickening mine with Mane & Tail Shampoo--love it love it love it). By choosing Gwyneth as a hair icon, this keeps me from becoming deceived into thinking I could pull off some haircut I see on a course-haired brunette that might ultimately leave me in tears. So basically the only thing I need to resist succumbing to is thinking I will leave the hairdresser's looking LIKE Gwyneth Paltrow, which I think I have finally mastered.

It has been over a year since Lyla left town and I began cutting my own hair. It has been fine because basically I never think my hair looks that good, so I might as well do it myself for free if I can get it to look acceptable, right? Well, it's time for a cut/trim again and so hair has been on my mind a lot. I mean, there's no telling how much time in the last 7 or 8 years I have spent looking up pics online of Gwyneth's hair. Nor can I tell you how many times I've had the Sliding Doors cut:



I don't really have a picture of myself with that cut, but you saw me with shorter hair in a previous post.

But basically, right now my hair looks (a little) like Gwyneth's in this picture. (Sorry about the link, but IMDB is so stingy with their photos!) Okay, it's not exactly the same, but you get the idea.

Plus in that picture I am, I mean Gwyneth is with Michael Douglas, who coincidentally is married to Catherine Zeta Jones. I remember seeing CZJ for the first time in The Mask of Zorro and thinking how beautiful she was--and then immediately being offended by my dark-haired grandmother who was with me when she leaned over and whispered, "I just really think dark-haired women are so much prettier than blonde ones." The fact that my instant message persona/screen name/pic is now Catherine Zeta Jones probably stems from that very day.

I really don't know what my dilemma is right now, I'm not planning on heading back to the short hair department yet. Maybe someday when I get too old to be able to pull off long hair and I start debating a perm...but for now should I go a little shorter? is medium length hair ever a good idea on me (all pictures point to no)? just keep going a little longer? keep going a lot longer? do I need bangs?

I get so confused when I look at pictures like these:






Someone tell me what to do.

Next, I would like to discuss a very personal topic with all of you out there on the internet. You see, I have a very low hairline in the back. I know. I'm not proud of it. When I got my first short haircut, I realized my low hairline wasn't going to cut it when the back of my new haircut was going to look somewhat like this:



It was at this point, that the hairdresser shaved the back of my neck (just like the man[face] that I am), moving my hairline up a little. I was horrified and shocked and embarrassed, even after learning it wasn't totally uncommon for short-haired women to do this.

And I was even more horrified and shocked and embarrassed than I am everytime I have my eyebrows waxed and the woman says, "You want a lip wax too?" No, I don't want a lip wax. Do I need one? Why is she even saying it? I think maybe she is just trying to make more money, especially since I have heard her ask the same thing of others who don't need a lip wax. But still, I did pause to consider if I really need one when she said to a woman on Friday "You want an eyebrow wax too?" and that woman really did need some eyebrow help.

But now back to the even worse topic of neck hair: Even now that I have longer hair, I haven't given up the shaving practice. It makes me feel a little better to have a higher hairline on the back of my neck, even if it is at the expense of having to maintain it and feel manly about doing it. Plus growing it out and it getting too prickly seems even worse. Anyway, it's something I think about a lot.

Gosh, there are so many questions about the length of my hair, the placing of my hairline, the amount of hair on my face and I haven't even touched the pros and cons of highlights...ahh well, another day perhaps.

Anyway, if I have upset you or grossed you out or sent you over the edge and you don't want to read my blog anymore because I'm suddenly Marcy Manly to you, I'll understand. I'll still be here alone with my hair obsessions, shaving my neck and thanking Heaven that Gwyneth is older than me so that I can follow her right into her old-age hair decisions.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are lovely, lovely, lovely. Why does hair grow in unwanted places? It seems so wrong and that's why nair will never go out of business.

Anonymous said...

Chuckie here..I have to comment on this blog to tell you that I love your hair when you have it sort of short and shaggy like Meg Ryan's at times. Then when you get up in the morning and it's sticking out all over you give us so much joy!
HP has a great pic of you with bedhead on Christmas am...
Good luck with your decision. Love ya.

kacy faulconer said...

I'm giving this some serious thought and will get back to you. Generally, I think shorter is better on most people.

Anonymous said...

I think the length of your hair flatters you, but I think Gwyneth looks good with longer hair, too, so that might be fun for a change, plus it'll force you to finally get rid of that manly hairline on the back. I also love blonde hair. I remember praying for it when I was little. I think there were a total of 5 kids in all of my years at school that had blonde hair. I guess what I'm trying to say is, cut it, grow it long, whatever, just don't change the color.

Eliza said...

My favorite Gwyneth style has long been this one. There’s a great black and white picture of her that I couldn’t find online, same hairstyle, a cute dress, holding up a drink and making movie stardom look really, really fun.

I’m a big fan of the haircut on the Hungarian Glamour cover (or whatever language that is). I love tousled hair and bangs—the problem is that hair never really keeps the perfect tousle as you go throughout the day. Sometimes I think maybe I should take a picture of myself with perfect hair and tape it to my face.

I also think this look is quite great. I would love to have wavy hair, or to have the time in the morning to make it wavy. I have similar dilemmas to yours—also the fine blonde hair and never knowing whether to go long or short, bangs or no bangs. When it’s short, I want it long, when it’s long, I want it short. Bangs, I want no bangs. Etc.

I vote short for you from the pics I’ve seen, although I’m sure either would look good. Also love the color.

Carly said...

I agree with Lizer and Kacy, particularly in your case. I really like you with shorter hair. I think the bob Lizer showed us is very sleek and sophisticated. It would look good on a professional gal such as yourself. I am exactly the same way about Gwyneth, except I'm still in denial over looking like her. You may have a hairy neck, but you have a great forehead. I HATE my high, manly forehead. For a while I comforted myself into thinking that I resembled Bono. But it really only looks good on him....

JP said...

The Sliding Doord Gwyneth hair made me cut my hair several years back because I LOVE HERS. I liked the hair cut okay (on me)...but let's face it...I'm no Gwyneth...

Carrie Ann said...

Um...I immediately fell in love with the Glamour cover...I love that hair...blond, playful, shorter, long "swoopy bangs" although I know Gwenyth would call it "long swoopy fringe" because no one says "bangs" anymore, at least no one cool...I think that one would suit you awesome-ly...

Melissa said...

I appreciate all the advice from everyone---I'll let you know on my final decision!