Thursday, July 14, 2005

Edna was looking very glamorous

I have loved Jeopardy for as long as I can remember.
I have hated Alex Trebek for just as long.
I try not to really swear, but everytime he reads a clue with a foreign word or phrase in an accent, I have to say "Bastard!" outloud.
Another phrase I will swear in is: "My memory is ass" which is actually a phrase coined about me by my roommates.
Back to Jeopardy.
Schatzy, Roxy and I used to watch and play along.
Roxy thinks you win if you say the answer loudest, not first.
Sometimes we would play where each of us had to answer every single question whether or not we had any clue what the question was about.
I seriously considered trying out to be a Clues Crew member.
I think the rounds should be a little longer. They don't need to leave 10 whole minutes for Final Jeopardy.
My mom told me that Alex and Pat Sajak don't get along. And that once when they passed in the hall, they stepped far away from each other. And Pat said Alex is a big egomaniac-bastard. This is all probably not true (except the egomaniac-bastard part), but I'm spreading the word anyway.
At the end of a taping of an episode where I was in the audience, the bastard made them retape him reading one of the clues with a foreign phrase so he could get his accent better. Twice.
I got those tickets to attend Jeopardy by mailing in a form found at IHOP.
Please read this.
Take it easy.

7 comments:

Neil said...

I'm glad someone else hates Trebek as much as I do, and for exactly the same reason: his sad attempts to pronounce every foreign word as if he were fluent in the language it comes from. Occasionally I hear other people with Trebekitis speak, and it always makes me cringe. Like when NPR's Mandolit Del Barco identifies herself at the end of her reports on the radio. Or when people pronounce niche "neesh." Just say nitch, okay? On a related note, don't let me catch you saying Color-AH-do or Nev-AH-da.

Melissa said...

Well I do say Color-Ah-do AND Nev-AH-da (because I'm not from there of course). I have tried to switch but everytime I felt like a poser.

Eliza said...

Being from The West (California), I always said Coloraado and Nevaada (aa=like the "a" in "at"). It never occurred to me until I went to BYU and met people from The East that there might be other pronunciations.

On the flip side, I always pronounced New Orleans "NEW Or-LEENS," also until I went to BYU and heard people from the South pronounce it "Neh AH-lens." I feel like I owe it to Southerners to pronounce it as close to the proper (local) pronunciation as I can. So I say "New OR-lens" now--not quite right, but better than before, and at least I don't feel like a poser.

Come to think of it, I can see myself saying "Colorahdo." "Nevahda," however--never. Never.

Alicia said...

I do not think Edna looked glamourous.

Anonymous said...

Star...I was wondering why no one else mentioned the article. I have one word....CREEPY.

Sandy

Carrie Ann said...

I like how they wrap up the romantic story with: "He's not as deaf as Beethoven, but we don't think he can actually hear the majority of the stuff he plays." What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Carly said...

Hey, I understand the whole anti-Trebek sentiment better than anyone. I am the person who backed out on an engagement because of the way the guy pronounced the word "crepe."