Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Bottoms Up

For a long time I have been telling people that the Chinese don't drink during their meals. They eat all of their food and then have something to drink afterwards. I (thought I) learned that this aided in digestion. As a matter of fact, I was just talking about this last week, and, as usual, got the response, "I had never heard that."

Well today I was delighted when Roxy said, "I only drink after my meals. Just like the Chinese." I told her I have had recent conversations about this and no one has ever heard it, and so I was glad that she had. She then replied by telling me, "I think YOU'RE the only one who has ever heard of it." Apparently she was just teasing me because, for years, I have been telling her the Chinese did that.

Immediately I called Carly to try and back up my facts since she lived in China....no such custom that she knows of. And the closest I found on Google was an article about cultural customs that said the Chinese generally drink tea before or after their meals but not during. It just makes me wonder where I (thought I) heard this. And why do I feel inclined to tell everyone? Even now, I realize that I probably won't stop with this story. It's like a tradition for me to tell it. And I love rituals and traditions. Someday I will probably be sitting at the table as a grandmother telling anyone who will listen that the Chinese don't drink during their meals.

That story probably won't surprise you after I tell you that I have purchased the exact same present for my brother's birthday twice, and he is only 5. Not only did I go into the store and buy the same piggy bank I had already given him without even the slightest recollection of the first time, but I also called my mom and told her "I got Ethan one of those banks with the different compartments that you've always wanted him to have," which apparently is the EXACT same sentence I called and said to her the first time I got it for him.

The moral of the story: Take what I say with a grain of salt because apparently I'm making up stuff. or not remembering it. or doing it twice...

4 comments:

Alice said...

Recently my friends and I went for Japanese Sushi to celebrate one of my close friends birthdays. My roommate (Japanese) joined us. I explained to everyone that the custom is that you can't pour your own sake (no idea where I learned this). My roommate (Japanese) had never heard this. My response? "Dood, it is a straight up Japanese tradition... where did you grow up?"

He was speachless. And I think I know how you feel.

Suzie Petunia said...

I'm sitting here having extreme de ja vu. (Didn't you just write this post?) No, seriously...I just did something...or read something...or watched something...or bought something...and it wasn't until half way through that I realized it was my second time doing it. But, my memory is so bad I can't even remember what it was. You may think I'm making this up for the humor or it all, but I'm not.

Anonymous said...

What did you think the little Chinese tea cups and brewing pot of green tea that they bring at the _start_ of the meal were all about? ;-)

Carly said...

Mike just confirmed: the Chinese drink tea before and after their meals, beer during. They must have to go the bathroom a lot with all that liquid swirling around in them.