Monday, August 28, 2006

Maximum Capacity

You would think if you were getting on a water slide and the all the signs showing the correct sitting position for the 2-person raft showed an adult and a child, you might have second thoughts about hopping in with another adult. But since the lifeguard didn’t stop us, Neil and I figured we’d be fine. Check out the greenish slide in the background of the picture. This is where we almost died at my company picnic.



Green Slide of Death

The ride on the slide is a short one that starts with a steep descent (sort of hidden behind the yellow tube slide), continues up an almost vertical wall where, after you slow down, you then descend down the wall backwards in your raft, over the remaining small bump, and down the ramp. As we waited for a long time on the tall, scary platform, we watched as the sliders in front of us flew up the vertical wall, reaching about 3/4 of the way to the top before the raft stopped and slid down backwards. I was a little nervous, but mostly excited to try out this great and different idea for a water slide!


However as we squeezed into this 2-person raft and descended the first hill, we picked up some serious momentum and flying up that wall was definitely a scary experience. As we came within two feet of the top edge and saw that all there was to protect us from flying off and descending to our death was a wire, Neil yelled "OH MY GOSH!"


Fortunately, by then we were stopping. We descended the wall backwards, hauled butt out of that water park, changed out of our swimsuits behind a towel, and headed off to ride the Grizzly, which did have a sign warning: "people with large proportions might not be able to ride."


The Grizzly

Luckily we fit. But that was before we stopped for pizza.

4 comments:

Carly said...

It's a good thing that wire was there to decapitate you before the raft--carrying your headless body--plunges off the side of the ramp, cause I bet it would be a really scary thing to witness.

Cameron H said...

Large proportions? Does that mean fat in California?

Alice said...

To think I stood in in front of the slides "people watching" for as long as I did and STILL missed seeing this.

I do have a picture in my head, but I would love to have one on the camera as well. Next year...

Eliza said...

I love that vertical wall-style slide. I went on one like that at Raging Waters in "So-Cal" once.

From what I remember, it was just me on the raft, and I still thought I was coming dangerously close to flying over the edge and plummeting to a gruesome death. I'm glad you survived the experience! Mmm, pizza.