Sunday, August 05, 2007

Cowboy Up

This is our family motto, as of yesterday. Neil was thinking we needed one after pondering Carly's post re: "Pauls Don't Quit." I'm not sure if Carly was being serious or not about their motto. But that's okay because I don't know if we were either. I'll have to check with Neil on that.

I mean it is a good motto. But I would like to say I had nothing to do with coming up with it. It is totally unrelated to my watching 8 Seconds with my Freshman roommates about 50 times. Nor does it have anything to do with the fact that at the end of that year, I did a choreographed dance--part of which was a scene taken from the wedding in 8 Seconds-- in front of my ward with 3 of my roommates, one of whom thought she could "live the 8 Seconds dream," another who decorated her half of our room with all things Mickey Mouse, and lastly, the roommate we called "Ratgirl" behind her back.

I've really come a long way since then. I would never dream of doing such an immature thing now. My current daydreams consist of doing surprise lip sync performances at a ward talent show. I'm usually lip syncing the lead to "I Hear a Symphony" with friends doing back up, and we are all in our sequined Supremes-style dresses. It's either that or "Never Say Die" by the Dixie Chicks. Usually I'm lip syncing but sometimes I'm really singing because in my daydreams I have a much better singing voice than in real life. And usually I haven't told Neil that I'm going to be performing and he looks up at me with love (because of course I am singing to him) and pride and shock at what an awes voice I have.

I mean I wouldn't really do something like that. It's just my standby daydream. And it's way better than really doing the 8 Seconds wedding dance in front of 300 Freshmen.

8 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

At our local movie theater all of the employees wear nametags with the name of their favorite movie on it. There is a retiree who tears tickets and his favorite movie is "8 Seconds". I tell you this so that you will know you aren't alone. :)

Neil said...

Readers of this blog might be interested to know that a video exists of Marcy's freshman dance performance. Eighteen months into our marriage I finally found out about it and was allowed to watch it. I can say that it's every bit as awesome as you would think it would be.

kacy faulconer said...

Please put that on You tube for us.

Carly said...

"Pauls Don't Quit" is really only ONE of our many family mottos. Another motto is "Pauls Are Always Polite" and, my personal favorite, "Pauls Don't Let Pauls Do Lipsyncs." Perhaps that last one ought to become YOUR new motto. (Although I haven't seen the video.)

Melissa said...

hrt, I can really appreciate this man's honesty and humility. If I worked at the theater and had to put my favorite movie on my nametag, I would probably try to think up something people would think was cool as opposed to my real favorite (The Parent Trap).

Melissa said...

Kacy, if you put yours and Carly's video of "Some Guys Have All the Luck" on YouTube, I'll put my Timpview Lodge dance debut up.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I failed in that category as a father, is it too late to establish a family motto now?
I'll be thinking in the mean time.

Heidi Totten said...

Somewhere in the world are very incriminating videos of Kacy and Carly involving ABBA and Sinead O'Connor. They have no room to talk - I was behind the camera.